• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy

Thank you spookydd. Your files are much appreciated.

I will still need to modify the board files just a bit for my particular application. (err, really its my son's speaker cabs I built for him that he requested :rolleyes:).
Yes, yes, I know that is NOT the type of wood to use. His future upgrade that he will be doing will be to use double 11/16" plywood for a total thickness of ~1.5".
I had to help with doing the horn math and of course dad's limited budget $$$.
I have 6 amps to build for his, (3 per cabinet) and 1 for my Klipsch 10" sub (internal smps went whacko and fried part of the all-in-1 amp-psu board.)
I have all small parts and drivers to stuff 10 Leach Amps total :D.
Where the mods will be made will be to a separate OPT board to make use of the 4 donated NOS failed stereo units with good OPT's and HS's (1 6chan, 1 5chan & 2 2chan) with 2 more 2chan working units (Sony, JVC) that I will dismantle and repurpose.
Plus his upgrades will need buy larger trafos, proper heatsinks and all new OPT's.

Attachments

• SPKR1.jpg
    SPKR1.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 483
  • 2Chan_Yamaha.jpg
    2Chan_Yamaha.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 5Chan_Yamaha.jpg
    5Chan_Yamaha.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 6Chan_RCA.jpg
    6Chan_RCA.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 457
  • 1of6-PSU-BOT.jpg
    1of6-PSU-BOT.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 452
  • 1of6-PSU_TOP.jpg
    1of6-PSU_TOP.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 454
  • SPKR2.jpg
    SPKR2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 5Chan_Pioneer.jpg
    5Chan_Pioneer.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
files

Searched my usb discs and found a lot Jens/Leach files. I place the files for my boards and a newer version.
Maybe usefull .
Good luck, Loek

Attachments

• Leachver209.05.SCH.pdf
    194 KB · Views: 197
  • Leachver208.85.TOP.pdf
    819.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Leachver208.85.BOT.pdf
    844.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Leach_ver_7.4.6_Top_Mirrored.pdf
    480.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Leach_ver_7.4.6_Silk.pdf
    196.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Leach_ver_7.4.6_Sch.pdf
    149.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Leach_ver_7.4.6_Bottom_mirrored.pdf
    473.4 KB · Views: 144
  • leach_ver_7.4.6_BOM.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Leach_ver_7.4.6.zip
    303.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
What modifications have you done if compared to Jens design?
I see you designed a better thermal sensing board, anything else?
Are all the parts and values the same?

Most of the parts are the same and most of the names as well, so the BOM from Jens mostly applies.
But I did tweak a few details besides that more reactive thermal sensing bit.
His BOM calls for 0.47ohms emitter resistors, which I lowered to 0.22 and so the protection network values have been tweaked accordingly.
I changed the values for the input coupling caps and feedback ones, plus added protection diodes on the feedback caps.
The huge feedback cap is doable because it doesn't need to be high voltage and with the protection diodes on it, there is no way even in a fault situation that it would be exposed to more than the drop across the diodes, both ways.
I have 1000uF for the input coupling cap, and 4700uF for the feedback return.
That's how we clean up distortion below about 1khz nicely.
I recreated it according to the 5 pairs version Jens called 5.6.10, but also implemented one more small change that was discussed back then but didn't make it into that revision of it, which is to tap the feedback all the way at the actual output, on the L//R device.
A few layout tweaks here and there to fit the few extra parts and make enough room for the larger ones, nothing major.
I will revise this again real soon, with more tweaks, like removing those fuses, thinking about adding SSRs, adding a way to have a separate front end supply, separate the L//R combo into 2 devices, so the resistor can be radial as well as the air coil.
I will also add the resistor to the protection network to have a second slope, as this also didn't make it into that revision.
He made one little mistake on that 5.6.10 version that was later corrected, which is to insert the resistors in the supply rails between the pre-drivers and drivers, but it should be ahead of the pre-drivers.
It's still the leach amp, still for the most part about the same as what Jens did for v5.6.10, with few minor changes..
I did some 3D stuff and CAD for it, to make it easier to build. Lots of details to read.

Here is one of my Jens based variants, for a 5 output pairs, with the thermal sensing board changes that I've been tweaking to improve.

I'm still using eagle v6.1, quite old, but works.

I'm posting this one because it's the only one so far that has been actually made by a board house, so the gerbers have been used and accepted by them.

Plus someone is working on building a few right now, and he's even sent me a few bare boards, which look super nice.

I didn't rewrite Jens' excellent build document, with the bunch of maths and all that, because although there were many tweaks and some changes made on this variant compared to his, it's still worth using his build info as a guide, because it still mostly applies.

Now as I mentioned, I also did some cad along with this, and I can post some more visuals next. This may be of interest to some amp builders who are mostly at a dead end wanting to build a leach designed by Jens but don't have original MCAD files to do more work on it and put out updated gerbers.
Great! I might build one.

What version of Jens' Leach Clone did you base this from? Sorry did not find that information anywhere. The two versions I know of is 5.6.10 and 7.4.6 as per the schematic footer.

What version of Jens' Leach Clone did you base this from? Sorry did not find that information anywhere. The two versions I know of is 5.6.10 and 7.4.6 as per the schematic footer.

Well, it's kind of an amalgam of several versions from Jens' designs, with added tweaks and adjustments that were discussed but not yet implemented by Jens at the time.

Some things never made it into a new design, since Jens pretty much disappeared from the forums. But I picked up from there and applied a lot of tweaks.

One thing that was implemented at some point was adding resistors to the VI limiter to make it more of a true "VI", as the simpler one from Leach isn't quite there.

One goal was to get the bias spreader temperature sensing devices much closer to the power devices, because they were quite far physically in Jens' designs, which adds additional lag time.

I figured the closest they could get are right on top of a power device. We'll see how that goes, as the plastic casing isn't that great at thermal transfer, but at least they are physically as close as they can get. Plus I split them into 2 groups, sensing a power device from both sides (rails).

I further tweaked more things in a subsequent version, with some layout adjustment to allow for larger parts in some places.

One thing that really doesn't belong there are the fuses. Those introduce more losses and series resistance into the rails, plus potential for bad contacts in the long run. Something much better needs to be used, like SSRs on both rails, plus SSR on the amp's output.

I made a refreshed BOM lately that accounts for the changes in some values from the BOM from Jens.
I figured I'd upload it here for reference.
I hope I didn't make any mistakes. It seems ok.
What supply rail voltage does this BOM correspond to? If it is the same as Jens' design (+- 68 V), then the voltage rating of C1 and C14 is a bit optimistic.