• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Interest Check: Plitron 300VA 18V Dual Secondary Standard Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
twitchie said:

Hi Jason, shipping from Toronto to Vancouver area is $16.95 for regular parcel and 41.85 for Xpedited Parcel (rate code 31). This is assuming you're in the V4-V7 postal code, but until things are finalized, I'm not going to calculate final postage, so don't quote me on these numbers (yet)

:D

Thank's for the info, i'm looking to purchase 2 :)

I called the 800 number for Plitron and the guy I talked to said that no tax was added for sales to the USA. As also shown on the attached picture from their web page.

Is it possible to order the 25+ units and have some shipped directly to the USA without the additional tax?

I don't mean to cause any problems, just checking into possibilities which might create more interest.

Tom

Attachments

• plitrontax.jpg
    plitrontax.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 809
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tom,

No problem with your post at all, the information is welcome.

Actually, I had already discussed this with Plitron and they have agreed to do a single large shipment to the US as part of this order. I didn't announce this yet because so far, there hasn't been enough interest from anywhere in particular to make it worthwhile.

I was planning on having the US recipient take care of all US orders via USPS (or is it UPS) $10 dollar flat-rate box to the rest of the US members.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I guess I should reiterate - this Group Buy is only supported by Plitron with regards to price for diyaudio members. They are not going to be handling payment, nor will they ship to all recipients.

So far here is the list of people who have shown interest (I) or potential (P) interest

(2) Twitchie(I) - Canada
(2) pchw(I) - USA
(2) JimT(I) - Canada
(2) Jaac(P) - Netherlands? (looking at the flag)
(1) hc167(I) - USA
(2) rdk845(I) - USA
(1) KT(I) - USA
(2) luvdunhill(I) - USA
(3) jinkslynx(I) - Norway? (looking at the flag)
(2) Dennis Hui(I) - Canada
(2) jleaman(I) - Canada

That puts us potentially at 21 so far.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Hi twitchie. I could also be interested in a couple transformers. Plitron makes some of the best power transformers out there and prices aren't about to go down anytime soon. What is the next quantity for another price break? I think we could probably get 50 easy with the VA rating and secondary voltage chosen. I would have no problem being a US distributor for this since there are quite a number of folks in the US that are interested. That would cut down a bit on cost since you could send one big package over the border. That sucker will sure be heavy though!

EDIT: I didn't see that luvdunhill volunteered before me! If he does not want to do it I would be fine doing it as well.

Hey Twitchie--

I don't want to be a party pooper, but maybe 300VA is a bit small???--at least if you are using it for stereo amp.

I just rebuilt a mini-aleph (stereo) with a 250VA avel, and I have a lot of mechanical buzz (well, not really a lot, but it is audible). and -- The bias current is only 1 amp per output device.

Maybe it might be worth the few extra bucks for a 400VA??

Just my 2 cents, whatever route you go, lets hope for no noise!!

JJ

Joined 2004
Paid Member
JupiterJune - I looked at the larger transformer as well, but it would then become a custom order since 18V is not a standard offering for their 400VA units. The price jump to 400VA over 300VA is also quite significant, but the biggest peace of mind for using the 300VA comes from Nelson Pass himself in the F4 thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1181719#post1181719

"I use a 300 VA. This would be a continuous VA rating, and
you see various ratings for continuous vs short term and of course
this has to be taken with ambient temperature, frequency, and
power factor. When in doubt, Plitron."

Nelson Pass

BWRX - Your offer is appreciated as well. I will need to talk to luvdunhill to see where he's located, but you being in Pennsylvania may make it cheaper (for everyone) to ship to you. I'll have to check with Plitron on their shipping rate as well.

I never thought we would approach the 50 unit mark, but I'll see if we can get the same discount applied.

Stephen

jupiterjune said:
Hey Twitchie--

I don't want to be a party pooper, but maybe 300VA is a bit small???--at least if you are using it for stereo amp.

I just rebuilt a mini-aleph (stereo) with a 250VA avel, and I have a lot of mechanical buzz (well, not really a lot, but it is audible). and -- The bias current is only 1 amp per output device.

Maybe it might be worth the few extra bucks for a 400VA??

Just my 2 cents, whatever route you go, lets hope for no noise!!

JJ

the aleph mini i think is a little higher than 1.0amp, its like 1.3ish i think.

Jase

twitchie said:
JupiterJune - I looked at the larger transformer as well, but it would then become a custom order since 18V is not a standard offering for their 400VA units. The price jump to 400VA over 300VA is also quite significant, but the biggest peace of mind for using the 300VA comes from Nelson Pass himself in the F4 thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1181719#post1181719

"I use a 300 VA. This would be a continuous VA rating, and
you see various ratings for continuous vs short term and of course
this has to be taken with ambient temperature, frequency, and
power factor. When in doubt, Plitron."

Nelson Pass

BWRX - Your offer is appreciated as well. I will need to talk to luvdunhill to see where he's located, but you being in Pennsylvania may make it cheaper (for everyone) to ship to you. I'll have to check with Plitron on their shipping rate as well.

I never thought we would approach the 50 unit mark, but I'll see if we can get the same discount applied.

Stephen

The more Va, the less effort the transformer has to do :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Headcount

Here's where we stand so far (numbers will be finalized when we move ahead with the GB):

(2) Twitchie(I) - Canada
(2) pchw(I) - USA
(2) JimT(I) - Canada
(2) Jaac(P) - Netherlands? (looking at the flag)
(1) hc167(I) - USA
(2) rdk845(I) - USA
(1) KT(I) - USA
(2) luvdunhill(I) - USA
(3) jinkslynx(I) - Norway? (looking at the flag)
(2) Dennis Hui(I) - Canada
(2) jleaman(I) - Canada
(2) gjfin(I) - USA
(2) ipolyakov(I) - USA
(1) tommak(I) - USA
(1) 04dgmsilv(I) - USA
(2) gabkw(I) - USA
(2) BWRX(I) - USA
(2) greyhorse(I) - USA
(2) jerishi(I) - USA

If my math is right, this puts us at 35 now.

jupiterjune said:

JJ

Are you sure your amplifier and transformer are working correctly?
A 250VA transformer should be more than enough for an Aleph-Mini. I built mine using a 160VA C-core, and had no issues with mechanical hum/buzz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.