Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 5th March 2015, 07:17 PM   #11
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Earl, in my view you are an advocate of high fidelity in the traditional sense (before the term got devaluated): what comes out should resemble what goes in as best it can. In line with this, I've never understood why you think the amplitude response of your speakers should have a downward slope. Is it to compensate for a relatively low DI at high frequencies in comparison to the lower midrange? I mean, conventional box speakers have lower DI than your speakers at low/mid frequencies, but similar DI at high frequencies.
Old 5th March 2015, 09:45 PM   #12
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Keyser

Of all the things that I do, this is one of the only ones based on experience. A flat on listening axis just seems to sound bright with a CD speaker. I do believe it is the DI that is doing this when compared to the very narrow HF response from the direct radiator.

I am not the only one to find this, Toole also suggest a subtle downward tilt to the listening axis response. HFs are just not that prevalent in our environment and too much of them can sound un-natural. We can easily generate 10+ kHz directly into someone's ears but in nature these frequencies just do not travel very far (air absorption skyrockets above 10k), our environment is basically devoid of them.

Remember that we are not talking about extreme values here - 3 dB @ 10 kHz tops.

Last edited by gedlee; 5th March 2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 24th March 2015, 05:55 PM   #13
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

The all new NA12
It is also possible that producers of recordings do not mix on speakers with flat power response and thus they EQ/balance is elevated on CD speakers?

THx-Richard Marsh
Old 24th March 2015, 06:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks Richard,

This is also quite possible. Clearly there could be several factors, but the consensus about the speaker design world is that the direct sound and the reverberant sound should fall slightly, i.e. the listening axis and the power response should both fall slightly. This results in a flat Directivity Index across the board.
Old 16th December 2015, 08:08 AM   #15
peteleoni is offline peteleoni  United States
diyAudio Member

Most of do mix on "flat" speakers, but far too many of us hype up the high end. Those of us that master these often have to deal with it. Also a lot of us do not like to listen to the flat speakers we work with. I think Earl certainly made the right call and it is a minor but important call.
Old 16th January 2016, 08:45 PM   #16
noah katz is offline noah katz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Remember that the stiffness of a plate goes as the thickness squared so a 33% thicker plate is 1.33^2 times stiffer, nearly double.
Actually it's even better than that - plate stiffness increases with the cube of thickness.
Old 17th January 2016, 06:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The all new NA12
Quote:
Thanks Richard,

This is also quite possible. Clearly there could be several factors, but the consensus about the speaker design world is that the direct sound and the reverberant sound should fall slightly, i.e. the listening axis and the power response should both fall slightly. This results in a flat Directivity Index across the board.
I understand the slightly falling response is to better mimmick what I might hear further away - like in a large concert hall...... However, I rarely go to such places from where i live and only listen to sounds which are generated near me. When I get the chance, I like to listen up close to a small group playing acoustic instruments. Thus, for Me, a flat response sounds most like what i hear near me. Comment, pls. Can there be a switch for both positions?

THx-Richard Marsh
Old 17th January 2016, 06:43 PM   #18
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The all new NA12
Now that's what I call a delayed response!
Old 17th January 2016, 08:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Can there be a switch for both positions?

THx-Richard Marsh
Better than that!! A treble control works perfectly. Find the position that you like and fix it there. Or change it.
Old 19th January 2016, 02:32 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The all new NA12
Quote:
Better than that!! A treble control works perfectly. Find the position that you like and fix it there. Or change it.

Perfect.

-RM

The all new NA12Hide this!Advertise here!