Update - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 14th April 2014, 09:44 PM   #11
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I think that from this point forward all of my designs will use the MiniDSP line. It just makes so much sense when you can buy 8 channels of DSP for $500, you can do everything from crossovers to sub EQ etc. all in the one unit. This is too good to not use throughout.

I can always do a passive crossover if that's all the customer can contend with, but the active is always going to be more effective.
Old 25th April 2014, 07:25 AM   #12
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I think that from this point forward all of my designs will use the MiniDSP line. It just makes so much sense when you can buy 8 channels of DSP for $500, you can do everything from crossovers to sub EQ etc. all in the one unit. This is too good to not use throughout.
Old 28th May 2014, 10:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Earl, What kind of glue I can use to fix the foam to the painted waveguide in my Abbeys? It got detached during transport. Is it easy to change the passive crossover into an active setup? I have a DEQX unit which I wanted to try but I am also planning to buy a mnidsp 2x4 for setting 4 subwoofers up. I hope the minidsp unit is as capable as DCX2496 you recommend. I find the DCX too much shiny and industrial looking. Both of these units can be used with REW measurement software.
Old 28th May 2014, 02:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have just bought an adhesive for delicate materials (sponge, felt polystyrene), multi-purpose adhesive based on water and permanent spray adhesive. Which one am I supposed to use in order not to damage the foam plug?
Old 28th May 2014, 03:29 PM   #15
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

dziemian

I use 3M Spray 99. I don't know if it is available in Poland. The foam plug is polyurethane and won't be damaged by most adhesive materials.

It is not at all easy to change from passive to active crossover. I suggest that you don't do it. Doing your own crossover is more likely to result in a worse situation than just leaving it passive.

If you get in touch with me directly I might be able to help you with the crossover, but I have never sent speakers to Poland so I know that you did not buy them from me.
Old 28th May 2014, 03:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thank you Earl for your reply. I am suprised there is no other speaker of yours here in Poland. I bought my Abbeys a couple of weeks ago from an original owner in Germany. I can give you details in PM if you need any confirmation as I dont want to post it here. According to the owner he bought them directly from you in 2012. I have a CD with the whole history of the build including an email exchange with you.
Old 28th May 2014, 03:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Ps. I have just used a TESA spray glue. Hope it is fine.
Old 28th May 2014, 04:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Updating the new website URL:
link
GedLee LLC

and the new NS15 loudspeaker:
link
GedLee LLC
Old 28th May 2014, 06:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

BTW. My Abbeys sound fabulous. The best speakers I have had so far. But they do lack of heavy bass and subwoofers are necessary. I am in process of building 4 passsive ones to set them up according to Earl's recommendation.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziemian View Post
BTW. My Abbeys sound fabulous. The best speakers I have had so far. But they do lack of heavy bass and subwoofers are necessary. I am in process of building 4 passsive ones to set them up according to Earl's recommendation.
Yep. You need a LOT of subs to keep up with one.
I used a single Summa for PA at my wedding, along with a horn sub.
The Summa was just loafing along with about 50 watts. I had about 150 watts going to the horn sub, and it was the weakest link in the chain.

If I had to do it all over again I would've used about four subs and about 500 watts, and that's to keep up with ONE Summa, not two!

At one point I had something like eight subs at home, but that got a little ridiculous.

Hide this!Advertise here!