• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New plotting software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you mean the random spots that occur throughout some plots, yes thats a bug that I haven't traced down yet. If not that then I don;t know what you are refering to.

I do not plan to allow arbitrary usage of the software because the techniques are proprietary, but I have offered to do these plots for anyone who sends me the raw data and I promise to post them in the list.

When I sort out the valueable techniques from everything else I may post code that will work on your own data, but right now the process is too complicated to post. There is an intermediary step that has not been coded and runs on Mathcad and thats not viable for third party usage.

Hi Earl, The program now opens in both IE and Firefox and it no longer goes into freefall when calling up the data sets, but nothing happens when I drag the cursor over the polar coordinates.

Is there an application I should have activated for this to work?

OK, now back to the subject. Did anyone look at the software? Does this help you to understand how polar maps show more data than FR nor polar angle plots? My intent was as much education as it was documentation.

Hi Earl, The program now opens in both IE and Firefox and it no longer goes into freefall when calling up the data sets, but nothing happens when I drag the cursor over the polar coordinates.

Is there an application I should have activated for this to work?

The left mouse button must be held down - thats what I meant by drag. Whenever the left mouse button is pressed the top and right plots will change. If you move the mouse with the button down then they will change continuosly.

Dr. Geddes,

Just curious, but if I had to guess I would say that the theoretical piston driver in this app has a 12" diameter. I base this on the observation that this driver has a -6db point at 45 degrees at approx. 1125Hz. Is this correct?

Your guess is as good as mine - that part was just a test case and it wasn't calibrated to anything. My plan is to put in several other example files, but that requires solution of a problem that has me stumped at the moment.

-ANY experts on unmanaged dll calls under VB.net out there?

No, I don't believe that is the case. If all someone had to do is self sign an app, then it becomes pointless. Several years back I looked into this. You have to apply and pay a substantial fee and after they investigate your app, they "sign it". I suppose it makes sense, I wouldn't want it any other way, you just have to run the app at home.

No, I don't believe that is the case. If all someone had to do is self sign an app, then it becomes pointless. Several years back I looked into this. You have to apply and pay a substantial fee and after they investigate your app, they "sign it". I suppose it makes sense, I wouldn't want it any other way, you just have to run the app at home.

It just works like this:

1 - Internet Explorer is often configured to reject sites/apps without a certificate
2 - So you generate a self-signed certificate
3 - Now you have a 'real' certificate, albeit one that's not from a trusted authority like Verisign
4 - The end-user is presented with the option to accept the cert

I've consulted for a lot of businesses that use self-signed certs in their QA and DEV environments, so they don't have to shell out money to Verisign

Dr. Geddes has revised his color scheme in polar plotting soft. Instead varying only hue, now there is intesity variation. Mutch smaller variation in amplitude can be perceived in the data, ridges, indicating diffraction, are more clearly visible.
Earl, can you also revise your normalization scheme? Somehow 'Abbey' is perceived to have narrower directivity than 'Summa'. Clearly 'Summa' is plotted couple dB 'hotter' than 'Abbey'.
Maybe try to plot design directivity angle (-45deg?) as -6dB, every step louder saturate towards red, every step quieter towards green, while retaining color intensity variation. It could squeeze additional information to the 'polar map' plot, witch is already better than anything done in the industry.

I've been playing with this. I did change the normalization sheme since it did just what you suggested. I now normalize the band average from 200 - 2kHz to be 0 dB and this corrects the appearance of different coverage angles. I have found that I like bright yellow as 0 dB going to black at -36 dB. Then above 0 dB goes to white at 3 dB and then above 3 dB going from pink to red. This gives a perceptual effect that is just what I am looking for - a peak, above the average of more than 3 dB is a "red flag". A whitish area will be pronounced and yellow is nuetral. Greyer areas are less pronounced - dull. I also plot sound power as well as the DI, this is more useful info. Will post this new stuff very soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.