• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New White Paper posting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Floyd and crew do not even consider image in their criteria for a loudspeaker. It is heavily weighted on spaciaousness. They don't even consider any dynamics, nothing in the amplitude aspects. There are a lot of holes in Floyds work, but its still the best there is on the subject if you can recognize where these holes are at.

Those were the first things I thought about. I also know how these wide dispersion speakers sound and they are pleasant. It's interesting to me that they supposedly sound more clear on vocals based on that research. This isn't what I'd expect. No matter, I have much to read yet.

One other matter, for speakers more like yours, do you have a recommended placement from the nearby walls?

Thanks,

Dan

One other matter, for speakers more like yours, do you have a recommended placement from the nearby walls?

Thanks,

Dan

Speakers (and listeners) should be as far away from all walls as possible.

Yes, this is generall true, but generally impractical. Never put the speakers right at the wall and don;t move them too close together to get away from the walls either. The room will dictate this.

I enjoyed the white paper and it's certainly come in handy in discussions I've had on various forums since the 'average audiophile' needs to know why they should consider purchasing plain looking speakers without beryllium-plated uranium supertweeters with XPL-57 technology :D Also, Dr. Geddes...I know you like to cite your customer reviews and while I personally believe they are spot on..understand that EVERY speaker has those same reviews. A lot of ignorant listeners out there. Stick with making up a fancy name for your waveguide.

Because of the angles the speakers are toed-in, placing close to a side wall hasn't been an issue for me. I've also found that my 4.1 setup with a 'phantom' center works incredibly well and does a convincing job, at least between the speakers (listening position-wise). I've never been fond of center channels because I always feel like I can locate the speaker too easily. The added cost and size of the Abbeys was a factor, too, I admit.

DE250 and Kappalite clearly stretch "Econo," but they still come in ~1/10 the cost of the commercial product being promoted here.

'Zactly.... :yes:

What's your beef, bro? Hi-jacking the man's thread, being rude, and pushing a ripoff of his idea is...uh...pretty weak.

What's your beef, bro? Hi-jacking the man's thread, being rude, and pushing a ripoff of his idea is...uh...pretty weak.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/123426-horn-vs-waveguide.html

The "White Paper" is a gratuitous Geddes promotional piece in the guise of an educational submission posted here for discussion, the thesis being that Summa (and similar Geddes products, presumably,) are better than anything, and we should buy them.

My "beef" is, as others also observed, Earl appropriates the developments of others for this purpose without referencing or crediting them, implicitly putting forth their work as if it were original and uniquely his own.

It's marketing hype, pure and simple, and if it belongs here at all, the invitation to comment in the first post clearly grants license for presentation of alternative views, my own being that many of the elements of directivity highlighted as advantageous therein are readily available to readers via more economical means than the core premise would have everyone suppose....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.