diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   GedLee (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gedlee/)
-   -   New White Paper posting (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gedlee/159101-new-white-paper-posting.html)

gedlee 20th January 2010 05:36 PM

New White Paper posting

I have recently posted a white paper that I wrote highlighting directivity issue in loudspeakers. I hope you enjoy it and I invite discussion.

I should state however, that requests for "what does x-speaker look like" will be pointless since I have already put virtually all of the competitive products that I have in the paper. So there is no more competitive data to be had. I have much more data on my own products as you can imagine.

The paper is at Geddes Directivity White Paper

SunRa 20th January 2010 09:09 PM

That looks to be an educative reading, as always from your side, Dr. Geddes!

Thank you!

arend-jan 20th January 2010 10:22 PM

Thanks,

I caught a couple of typo's, if you're interested:

- fig 11 the color coding is off
- fig 12 the horizontal scale values are missing
- in the text fig 13 is mentioned as the normalized version of fig 12, and later on it's mentioned as a different speaker. It's probably fig 12 A&B?
- page 13: "This speaker is widely praised for its natural and natural sound."

thadman 20th January 2010 10:38 PM

gedlee 20th January 2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arend-jan (Post 2055493)
Thanks,

I caught a couple of typo's, if you're interested:

- fig 11 the color coding is off
- fig 12 the horizontal scale values are missing
- in the text fig 13 is mentioned as the normalized version of fig 12, and later on it's mentioned as a different speaker. It's probably fig 12 A&B?
- page 13: "This speaker is widely praised for its natural and natural sound."

Thanks

- fig 11 - oops, that will be hard to fix. I'll see what I can do
- fig 12 - this sometimes happened. Once I generated a figure, it is hard to go back and recreate it. That is particularly true of all the measured data. The frequency scale never changed however so its easy enough to figure out.
Corrected Fig 13 reference and typo on Page 13.

Thanks for those!

DcibeL 20th January 2010 11:52 PM

Color coding is wrong in Fig 5 as well.

gedlee 21st January 2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DcibeL (Post 2055603)
Color coding is wrong in Fig 5 as well.

AwEeee Sheet! Its a real paint to recreate those curves!! Proably won't happen. I never even looked at the legend. I may take it out altogether since THAT I can do. Its really not necessary.

twest820 21st January 2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gedlee (Post 2055668)
AwEeee Sheet! Its a real paint to recreate those curves!!

Just grab the figures in most any image editor and draw new lines for the legends with the correct colors. The dipstick tool will give you an exact color match to the line in the graph if you need it.

If it's vector data, well, that's harder.

Off to actually read the paper. Looks like lots of pretty pictures. :p

dantheman 21st January 2010 05:17 AM

Wow, just after skimming it seems I've learned a great deal in the last 2 months. I can't wait to get through this. It's good to see that some of the data mirrors what I've done at home though your graphs look much better. Makes me feel like I'm not totally crazy.

Thanks!

Dan

arend-jan 21st January 2010 07:21 AM

I'd like to create directivity plots like that for my own measurements. Any software out there that can do it?