New White Paper posting - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 21st May 2010, 07:14 PM   #261
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Engineers could do that with a loudness control based on the equal-loudness contours too
Well that brings us back around to my first post here (#248). Maybe Mr. Holman would like to aim his efforts at the music industry, but I suspect the money trail wouldn't satisfy him compared to the film industry. Musicians are typically a broke lot.

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 21st May 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 21st May 2010, 07:17 PM   #262
Banned

Yep. Without reference there's no, uhm, reference.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:00 PM   #263
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
I've always advocated that music lovers should try adjusting the playback volume to find a level that sounds most spectrally balanced. That will probably be close to the level it was mixed at. It's a crap-shoot. Even on a single CD from a single artist, different songs may have been mixed at completely different SPL levels.

And as a side note, music is mixed MUCH louder than most people would expect. And IMO, typically sounds better when played back at somewhat higher levels than are typical. Critical listeners take note.

..Todd
Hi Todd

I have always found this "prefered playback level" to exist and I often adjust the volume for different songs. There seems to be a level at which the sound "clicks" and yes, this is usually a bit on the loud side for most people.
I have found that serious listeners all recognize this and in general all do listen at above average levels.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:03 PM   #264
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Hi Todd

I have always found this "prefered playback level" to exist and I often adjust the volume for different songs. There seems to be a level at which the sound "clicks" and yes, this is usually a bit on the loud side for most people.
I have found that serious listeners all recognize this and in general all do listen at above average levels.
Obviously we need the return of the 70's loudness control.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:46 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Obviously we need the return of the 70's loudness control.
I hope that your not serious, because that was not the solution and I'm shocked that its working its way back into the medium.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:49 PM   #266
Banned

Quote:
I hope that your not serious
Any other practical (!) options?
Old 21st May 2010, 08:59 PM   #267
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope that your not serious, because that was not the solution and I'm shocked that its working its way back into the medium.
Even the old implementations were almost universally defective, lacking the facilities to match the contours to system efficiency/gain and source levels.
Old 21st May 2010, 10:02 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

Agreed - unless there is some means to fit the curves to the actual SPL its pointless to even think about "loudness compensation". And it does not correct for the issue of the SPL level that the song was mixed at vs the playback level.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:15 PM   #269
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Agreed - unless there is some means to fit the curves to the actual SPL its pointless to even think about "loudness compensation". And it does not correct for the issue of the SPL level that the song was mixed at vs the playback level.
That pretty much sums up my feelings.

..Todd
Old 21st May 2010, 11:29 PM   #270
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

IIRC most loudness buttons were just a boost at 100 and 10K and were constant. The Fisher SS amps from the 80's did it a little differently. The boosted only the low end and attenuated it as you turned up the volume so you could leave the button depressed. Not perfect but better than the others?

This baby here. Pic at the bottom. Actually after reading that page they say there was a 4dB boost at 10K. Don't remember that but the variable attenuation part was kinda handy.

http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Fisher_CA-550

Hide this!Advertise here!