New White Paper posting - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 28th January 2010, 06:01 PM   #191
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
I am going to give the binaural thing another try correcting the transfer function. I just don't think in-head-localization for me anyway will go away until I use a headtracker.
You will be amazed. There's simply no way for binaural recordings not to work.
Old 28th January 2010, 06:23 PM   #192
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Are there any free links to studies on distortions? And when you say distortions are we including or excluding inter-modulation?
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Exactly. "Binaural decoloration" could be one of the reasons why polar maps won't be that meaningful at all.
Please explain. Thats a new term for me. And if not polar maps, then what? Audiophile magazine reviews?
Old 28th January 2010, 07:05 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The directivity index shows the averaged level of sound radiated in all directions normalized to the level on the 0° axis.

Best, Markus
Thanks Markus! Unfortunately this makes this Data less useful to me, but it is what it is.

Much appreciated,

Dan
Old 28th January 2010, 07:08 PM   #194
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Please explain. Thats a new term for me. And if not polar maps, then what? Audiophile magazine reviews?
Audiophile magazine reviews should alway be your first stop but in this case asking your wife will probably be enough

I think the first time I heard the term was in Bilsen's papers about "Repetition Pitch".

You can read about binaural decoloration in Salomon's doctor thesis.
Wittek has some interesting thoughts about the auditory system in general.

Best, Markus

Last edited by markus76; 28th January 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 28th January 2010, 07:33 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Audiophile magazine reviews should alway be your first stop but in this case asking your wife will probably be enough

I think the first time I heard the term was in Bilsen's papers about "Repetition Pitch".

You can read about binaural decoloration in Salomon's doctor thesis.
Wittek has some interesting thoughts about the auditory system in general.

Best, Markus
I didn't get much out of that post.
Old 28th January 2010, 07:35 PM   #196
Banned

Then you probably didn't click on any of the 3 links.
Old 28th January 2010, 08:09 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Then you probably didn't click on any of the 3 links.
I didn't get the first line, but I expect it was a joke. I clicked on all three links and two were in German - big help! - the third did not seem to have a lot to do with polar maps (I'm not about to read the whole thesis just to get a definition of a term that you used).
Old 28th January 2010, 08:36 PM   #198
Banned

Quote:
I didn't get the first line, but I expect it was a joke.
Yes sir.

Quote:
II clicked on all three links and two were in German - big help
What are you talking about? All papers are in English! Salomon's thesis starts on page 6. The first few pages are Dutch not German.

Quote:
I the third did not seem to have a lot to do with polar maps (I'm not about to read the whole thesis just to get a definition of a term that you used).
Looking beyond one's own nose is always a good thing and reading about sound perception is on-topic or why would anyone want to look at polar maps?

From Wittek: "[Binaural decoloration] is defined as the ‘suppression or reduction of colouration through binaural mechanisms’ (after Brüggen 2001a, 2001b; Salomons, 1995)."

Salomons, A.M. (1995) ‘Coloration and binaural decoloration of sound due to reflections’.
PhD Thesis, Technical University Delft, The Netherlands.
Brüggen, M. (2001a) ‘Sound coloration due to reflections and its auditory and instrumental
compensation’. Dissertation Ruhr-Universität Bochum. Berlin, Germany: dissertation.de -
Verlag im Internet.
Brüggen, M. (2001b) ‘Coloration and binaural decoloration in natural environments’. Acta
Acustica united with Acustica, Vol.87, No.3, May/June 2001, pp.400-406.

Last edited by markus76; 28th January 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 28th January 2010, 09:31 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From Wittek: "[Binaural decoloration] is defined as the ‘suppression or reduction of colouration through binaural mechanisms’ (after Brüggen 2001a, 2001b; Salomons, 1995)."
If thats what it means then I don't see the relavence since a polar map is a single speaker not a stereo pair and mics are not ears. Perhaps there is some coloration reduction from binaural listening, but what does that have to do with a polar map of how a single source performs? I just don't see the point you are trying to make.
Old 28th January 2010, 09:54 PM   #200
Banned

A polar map allows to draw conclusions about the reflection patterns created by a sound source. Unfortunately the perception of reflections does not correspond to simple timbral changes. A simple look at polar maps will not reveal how colored speaker X will sound because our hearing will perform binaural decoloration. Things become even more complicated when there's not a single sound source but virtual/phantom sound sources. Without a better understanding of our hearing we will never be able to correlate properties of the indirect sound field with sound perception.

Last edited by markus76; 28th January 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!