New White Paper posting - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 26th January 2010, 04:30 PM   #151
Monger is offline Monger  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
No, whole system, 90 in 7.5 increments, like here. The crossover region is the fun part. Data "somewhere" is no data.
I haven't built and am not building an "econowave." Neither was augerpro. It was his design. You want data, it's there. You want more, this is diy audio.

Last edited by Monger; 26th January 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 26th January 2010, 06:30 PM   #152
Banned

Well, heat rises too much for my liking, so one question more on-topic: how do polar plots like the ones proposed by Earl correlate to perception of (phantom) sound sources, i.e. their timbral and spatial qualities?
Old 26th January 2010, 07:32 PM   #153
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post
I haven't built and am not building an "econowave." Neither was augerpro. It was his design.
DE250 and Kappalite clearly stretch "Econo," but they still come in ~1/10 the cost of the commercial product being promoted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post
You want data, it's there. You want more, this is diy audio.
'Zactly....
Old 26th January 2010, 08:01 PM   #154
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab View Post
DE250 and Kappalite clearly stretch "Econo," but they still come in ~1/10 the cost of the commercial product being promoted here.

'Zactly....
Pretty narrow minded view and off-topic. I obviously asked the wrong guys. Please accept my apologies.
Old 26th January 2010, 08:43 PM   #155
R.I.P.

Quote:
Pretty narrow minded view and off-topic. I obviously asked the wrong guys. Please accept my apologies.
No problem. It was "just pretend," apparently, is all:

Quote:
I would be willing to build a EconoWave box and measure it along with the Nathans....
[You're off the hook.... ]

Last edited by ZilchLab; 26th January 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 27th January 2010, 01:51 AM   #156
cujobob is offline cujobob  United States
diyAudio Member

I enjoyed the white paper and it's certainly come in handy in discussions I've had on various forums since the 'average audiophile' needs to know why they should consider purchasing plain looking speakers without beryllium-plated uranium supertweeters with XPL-57 technology Also, Dr. Geddes...I know you like to cite your customer reviews and while I personally believe they are spot on..understand that EVERY speaker has those same reviews. A lot of ignorant listeners out there. Stick with making up a fancy name for your waveguide.

Because of the angles the speakers are toed-in, placing close to a side wall hasn't been an issue for me. I've also found that my 4.1 setup with a 'phantom' center works incredibly well and does a convincing job, at least between the speakers (listening position-wise). I've never been fond of center channels because I always feel like I can locate the speaker too easily. The added cost and size of the Abbeys was a factor, too, I admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab View Post

'Zactly....
What's your beef, bro? Hi-jacking the man's thread, being rude, and pushing a ripoff of his idea is...uh...pretty weak.
Old 27th January 2010, 02:59 AM   #157
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujobob View Post
What's your beef, bro? Hi-jacking the man's thread, being rude, and pushing a ripoff of his idea is...uh...pretty weak.
Horn vs. Waveguide

The "White Paper" is a gratuitous Geddes promotional piece in the guise of an educational submission posted here for discussion, the thesis being that Summa (and similar Geddes products, presumably,) are better than anything, and we should buy them.

My "beef" is, as others also observed, Earl appropriates the developments of others for this purpose without referencing or crediting them, implicitly putting forth their work as if it were original and uniquely his own.

It's marketing hype, pure and simple, and if it belongs here at all, the invitation to comment in the first post clearly grants license for presentation of alternative views, my own being that many of the elements of directivity highlighted as advantageous therein are readily available to readers via more economical means than the core premise would have everyone suppose....

Last edited by ZilchLab; 27th January 2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 27th January 2010, 03:46 AM   #158
Banned

Looks like someone really needs a hug
Old 27th January 2010, 04:04 AM   #159
Banned

Oh look he got one, thread was moved.
Old 27th January 2010, 06:41 AM   #160
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujobob View Post
... a ripoff of his idea....
The constant-directivity 2-way is a Geddes innovation?

[EARL -- send this man $100 for posting that.... ]

Last edited by ZilchLab; 27th January 2010 at 06:43 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!