• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Full roundover vs. rounded w/ corner edges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the pics of the Harper - please, no comments on picture quality, they're certainly good enough to get an idea of what the speakers look like and who needs more - the one thing that strikes me is that it doesn't share the bigger GedLee speakers' rounded corners and back-side roundovers.

Dr. Geddes, any comments as to the measurable performance differences due to increased diffraction from the corner edges, as opposed to those due to smaller/cheaper drivers?

Looking at the pics of the Harper - please, no comments on picture quality, they're certainly good enough to get an idea of what the speakers look like and who needs more - the one thing that strikes me is that it doesn't share the bigger GedLee speakers' rounded corners and back-side roundovers.

Dr. Geddes, any comments as to the measurable performance differences due to increased diffraction from the corner edges, as opposed to those due to smaller/cheaper drivers?

Its very difficult to sort out these effects. The Harper does not measure as well as the larger systems, and doesn't sound quite as good, but whats due to smaller radi and whats the lower grade of drivers, smaller waveguide, etc. would be very difficult to determine. I have little doubt that radi on the trailing edges of the box (sides) have very little effect since these are secomdary diffractions, but the smaller radi on the front baffle might be an issue. The smaller cabinet does not allow for a larger radi however. maybe a little larger 1" instead of .75", but larger than that cuts into the driver and waveguide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.