Old 28th July 2008, 05:27 PM   #601
tomtom is offline tomtom  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

thank you very much for clear answers.
Old 30th July 2008, 06:44 PM   #602
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Project update

I have now confirmed with B&C that drivers sent from the US will probably be lower cost, even with shipping, to points in Europe. So I will sell the drivers with the kits for anyone who wants them, but, of course, the shipping is extra. I'm told that this will still be an attractive option for European customers because of the currency and EU pricing. I cannot assume responsibility for guaranteeing that the end result will be the cheapest, only that I can do this if desired.
Old 30th July 2008, 10:06 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Hmm, I thought the prices didn't look TOO bad, maybe a little high, but, that was when I thought they were for a PAIR of speakers, not just one

I imagine they're better value than most $2,000+ commecial speakers, but still, seems high for a kit.
Old 30th July 2008, 10:25 PM   #604
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

critofur,

there is no way to make a kit cheaper than the sum of its parts, agreed? And not to forget, we get the included expertise of Dr.Geddes for almost nothing...
Old 30th July 2008, 11:22 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

If you look at the cost of the parts you will see that this really is a good value. Its a very high-end speaker for sure, and those don't come cheap.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:42 PM   #606
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

One thing is sure, mr/dr E Gedlee is NOT greedy ... its quality parts
the waveguide may be a bit expencive to produce in such small numbers
True, materials are not that expencive but it takes time to do everything from making the waveguide proto mold to simple packing and shipping
As far as I understand Earl only makes some money on the waveguide/foamplug, and thats probably not much
But he gets his product out in the world which is worth something
Old 31st July 2008, 12:05 AM   #607
diyAudio Member

Agree, this is not your typical $50 woofers and $30 drivers. Check the price for the included drivers. Also, Dr. Geddes doesn't have the luxury of mass producing the waveguides in China.

Considering those who contemplating replacing the Orion and other expensive speakers with this, it's quite a bargain. As soon as I can settle on a new house, I'll be buying these.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:52 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

You also have to consider that with the baffle, you get a fully developed design. Its not just the materials and work, its also the engineering.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:18 AM   #609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by critofur
Hmm, I thought the prices didn't look TOO bad, maybe a little high, but, that was when I thought they were for a PAIR of speakers, not just one

I imagine they're better value than most $2,000+ commecial speakers, but still, seems high for a kit.
Bargain basement hunters need not apply.

This is a fully engineered design (and I realize other designers claim the same) but having heard them in person, they are definitely the most sonically refined loudspeakers these ears have heard.

Anand.
Old 31st July 2008, 08:52 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

I'm delighted to hear of the availability of these kits.

Dr. Geddes, do I understand correctly from the Nathan 10 thread that it's too late to get in on the the first batch of 12" systems?

I have a question about the earlier discussion on using a non-ideally placed center channel speaker vs. none.

When the suggestion was made to create a phantom center image with a pair of speakers to the side of the screen (the left and rights being more widely spaced), it was pointed out that this would create problems with comb filtering.

Why isn't the same criticism apropos for a phantom center using the L/R's?

Dr. Geddes, have you done any tests on the audibility of comb filtering?

I thought that anything less than 1/6 (or is it 1/3) octave wide inaudible; wouldn't this apply to comb filtering?

Hide this!Advertise here!