DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 18th July 2008, 12:19 PM   #591
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I have, but usually not. I tend to use plate amps in the subs because it just ends up be easier to route the wires and such. But I have used the sub amps in the receiver before.
Old 24th July 2008, 03:40 AM   #592
tomcat9 is offline tomcat9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Update?

Is there any update on the kits? I do want one, but not sure which size to get. If anyone has received a kit, it would be great if you posted any thoughts.
Thanks.
Old 24th July 2008, 03:49 AM   #593
diyAudio Member

The Nathan 10s are shipping now, still a little short of some small but key parts, mostly screws and terminals for the crossovers, but in another week I'll have parts enough for a lot of kits. I can fill Nathan 10 orders in a couple of weeks now. When I get clear of the backlog of Nathan orders I'll start on the Abbeys. I already have the molds so this should go fairly quickly.

In all honesty the Abbey will be the better system, of that I have no doubt, but it is bigger and more expensive. If you have the room and can afford them get the Abbeys, if not then the Nathans work quite well and you won't be disappointed.

I don't think anybody but myself has finished a set of kits as they just started to ship.
Old 27th July 2008, 10:16 PM   #594
diyAudio Member

I see in another thread that you will have some 15" guides available soon.
Does this mean you will now take deposits for these ?
Will crossover design / cabinet details to make Abbey + be made available to people who buy 15" waveguides ?
Which woofer will be used ?
Thanks Mike Anderson
Old 27th July 2008, 11:26 PM   #595
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can buy the 15" waveguides, but I make no promises about if or when the Abbey+ will be available. The idea is to use the fiberglass waveguides for these, thats why I am having them done, but I have no idea how practical that will be until I try it. If it turns out to not work then I won't be doing it.

The Abbey+ would "probably" use the B&C 12TBX100 as this is a very good driver. But the 15" one is better so I might just jump up to that. All in all I haven't decided on anything beyond the Abbey and the next steps will all depend on how well the first two products go.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:24 AM   #596
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But the 15" one is better
Is that the 15PS76 15"?
Old 28th July 2008, 12:32 AM   #597
diyAudio Member

15TBX100 - a very good 15" driver.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:32 AM   #598
diyAudio Member

Ed,

The 15 inch he is talking about is the B&C 15TBX100.

Best,

Anand.
Old 28th July 2008, 03:45 PM   #599
tomtom is offline tomtom  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Hello Dr. Geddes

Firstly i want to thank you for all information that you are kindly sharing. I follow you threads very carefully. Im about to buy one of kit from you /for stereo/. I have just two add on questions.

I understand your point with multiple subs - but i dont know how is stereo channels distributed to particular subwoofers. Are they summed at first and then amplified as mono signal? Do you use your receiver for that? My first concern is stereo not HT. It is possible to use for example two pair of subs /two ULF and two WB/ and place them on each side as L and R channel /i know that this uniform pattern isnt very good for LF reproduction/? So what is your opinions and finding about this?

And second question

I believe in line level filtering and active amplification. I understand that in case of hi ef two way system as suma is there is no such a benefit as with for example 3 way boutique hifi system with 83db/w.
Also LF where is active advantage most obvious is active in your system too.

Are you experimented with this? Do you expect some benefits?
Its there possibility that you design line level filter for your kits?

I suppose that "reverse engineering" of passive filter to make line level filter will be very difficult if not impossible.

Thank you very much!

Tomas Vojtek
Old 28th July 2008, 04:04 PM   #600
diyAudio Member

I just use the mono sub output from my receiver. But you can just derive a mono signal to LP to the subs with no problem.

I have used active filters for my sepeakers on several occasions, they were never very succesful. I have no plans to make an active filter set. I could supply a plot of the transfer functions, but youd be on your own to implimenting them and based on what I found with the active filters, they never work right and need to be "tweaked". So basically its a scratch design.

Hide this!Advertise here!