DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 3rd May 2008, 12:17 AM   #51
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98

There is NO Bose marketing manager or Research Engineer here to defend this statement!

I am sure they so some research(mainly users' sound taste) probably not as extensive as you do, in terms engineering/technical excellence. Clever/Smart marketing makes successful product whether it sounds good is another matter, it applies to other products as well. I think you know this.

Looking forward towards using your baffle and waveguide.
I interviewed with Amar Bose once. His comment to me was how hard it was to find good marketing people. He thought engineers were pretty easy to come by though. They do research. Its just that their products never seem to change, so I guess the research hasn't worked out so well.

I have a lot of friends at Bose. They pay their engineers very well. If only that were true at all audio companies. I admire that about them. But Bose like every other US audio company is in the OEM car audio business - everything else is a loser.
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:35 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98

There is NO Bose marketing manager or Research Engineer here to defend this statement!

I am sure they so some research(mainly users' sound taste) probably not as extensive as you do, in terms engineering/technical excellence. Clever/Smart marketing makes successful product whether it sounds good is another matter, it applies to other products as well. I think you know this.

AFAIK, Bose does do a fair bit of R&D, and their products are carefully engineered.

I personally wouldn't want any of their products, but I would argue that they are a far better value than many "high end" audio products. (And probably less dishonest too.)
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:36 AM   #53
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
Shouldn't this whole thing be in the Vender's Bazaar?
We agree so over she goes.
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:51 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

I interviewed with Amar Bose once. His comment to me was how hard it was to find good marketing people. He thought engineers were pretty easy to come by though. They do research. Its just that their products never seem to change, so I guess the research hasn't worked out so well.
What incentive do they have to change their products? (Other than to change production methods and materials as these evolve.)

The person who buys a set of Bose speakers is making a lifestyle choice. They want some music-playing thingies for their home and Bose springs to mind because they market their products effectively. they buy based on size, price, and how well it matches their decor.

There's nothing really wrong with that BTW. People have different priorities and tastes.
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:55 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Hi Earl,

I'm interested in Option 1 only, just the baffles.

I'm in Australia so shipping the rest is expensive and I can source B&C drivers locally, and if the HF drivers are DE250's as I think you've nemtioned in the past, I already have some.
Old 4th May 2008, 12:58 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Hi Earl,

Will it be OK to order in odd numbers, ie 3 or 5 for HT use?
Old 4th May 2008, 03:07 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Sure

Order any odd number you want, like 99 or 199!!

Overseas baffles only makes sense for the reasons that you state. But shipping will be a major cost. If the quantity were large enough I could probably have them made in Thailand. Shipping from there to Aus would be much more reasonabable.
Old 4th May 2008, 03:30 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Sure

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee
Order any odd number you want, like 99 or 199!!

Overseas baffles only makes sense for the reasons that you state. But shipping will be a major cost. If the quantity were large enough I could probably have them made in Thailand. Shipping from there to Aus would be much more reasonabable.
I would love to order 99. Will you accept a 1 year postdated personal cheque?

Seriously, I'd like 4 or 5 (still deciding on the value of a centre for my 1/2 person HT setup). Even bundled individually and USPS air would probably be OK. Should I email you direct, or is it too early?
In case you aren't aware, the USPS online calculator is very accurate for quotes.
Old 4th May 2008, 03:44 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Sure

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I would love to order 99. Will you accept a 1 year postdated personal cheque?

Seriously, I'd like 4 or 5 (still deciding on the value of a centre for my 1/2 person HT setup). Even bundled individually and USPS air would probably be OK. Should I email you direct, or is it too early?
In case you aren't aware, the USPS online calculator is very accurate for quotes.
Yes about USPS, except I don't know the exact weight. I'm guessing about $50 each to ship. Maybe a little less.

Email me direct. I have already received some down payments so orders are processed in order of down payment.
Old 5th May 2008, 05:37 PM   #60
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stuartk2007

AFAIK, Bose does do a fair bit of R&D, and their products are carefully engineered.

I personally wouldn't want any of their products, but I would argue that they are a far better value than many "high end" audio products. (And probably less dishonest too.)

What's this bose love-fest? Has everyone forgotten that they are:

1) Overpriced
2) Unethical
a) They sued consumer reports over the description of their speakers in a product review- they weren't bashed, but wouldn't put up with the bad review. IIRC it took the State supreme ct. to overturn an initial ruling for bose. They haven't gotten a bad review since.
b) They have policy in place to make sure you cannot compare bose directly to any competitor. Just try to get a fair demo at best buy.
c) They use a lot of DSP to get their speakers sounding okay for demo purposes, but don't point out the stack to you or offer it with their products at home- once your dollars are theirs, you're stuck with substandard product that performs very differently than in the demo
d) Their patents are nonsense, used exclusively for selling. The "Wave radio" patent is just a gd acoustic labyrinth. Gee, prior art from 1930 anybody?

What does their R&D amount to when their flagship remains unchanged for 30 years? But hey, at least they're not Monster Cable. Those filth give new meaning to frivolous litigation.

Hide this!Advertise here!