DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 2nd May 2008, 08:04 PM   #41
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

If I lived nearby I would gladly order a complete kit

But you mentioned earlier that the 12" woofer with a bigger waveguide would be the better one...so why not offer that one and skip the rest fore later...or have I misunderstood it
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:24 PM   #42
LAL is offline LAL  United States
diyAudio Member

Earl,
Once your product goes out the door you don't want to be bothered with questions about substitutions of drivers and crossover components. People will start building variations of your product and for better or worse the end result will have your name attached to it. I would sell drivers, assembled crossovers, baffle with waveguide and plug as the standard offering and then offer a flat pack with rest of the cabinet as an option. I think you would have less hand holding to do and have more assurance that the speaker will perform as designed.

LAL
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:33 PM   #43
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rybaudio
I may have to just bite the bullet and buy a pair of the 15" waveguides w/ foam if you still have them available.

Thats clear now and no problem.

I don't have the larger waveguides and don't know when I will make a mold for my own use. Getting them from Thailand is not working out (as yet) and they are too expensive to have made here in fiberglass. My new process would drop the cost a lot, but the demand for the larger waveguides appears small.

As I said, let me know when you seriuosly look for fabricators as I may be willing to do this cheaper than your likely to find in the open market. Its all about tooling and volume. Ones high if the other is low and visa versa.
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:35 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus

But you mentioned earlier that the 12" woofer with a bigger waveguide would be the better one...so why not offer that one and skip the rest fore later...or have I misunderstood it
You understood, but quality doesn't seem to be a major marketing advantage, hence the lower quality, BUT LOWER COST 10.
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:38 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LAL
Earl,
Once your product goes out the door you don't want to be bothered with questions about substitutions of drivers and crossover components. People will start building variations of your product and for better or worse the end result will have your name attached to it. I would sell drivers, assembled crossovers, baffle with waveguide and plug as the standard offering and then offer a flat pack with rest of the cabinet as an option. I think you would have less hand holding to do and have more assurance that the speaker will perform as designed.

LAL

There is no way to avoid this and your suggestion doesn't necessary make things any better. I think that it will be clear what is my design and what is not so I'm not worried about people passing off poor quality as my work.

I should mention again that I will not "consult" on substitutions. Thats a whole can of worms.
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:43 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus

As I get closer to release I may ask for deposits to get in the queue and I may put a priority on full kits and not baffles. I'm not sure how many that I would sell but if the demand gets very high the supply will be limited.

Anybody thats wants to put down a deposit now, just post $200 per piece to sales@gedlee.com on Paypal. That will guarantee you a system. In a couple of weeks I'll decide about the different options.
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:02 PM   #47
Account disabled at member's request

Shouldn't this whole thing be in the Vender's Bazaar?
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:34 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
Shouldn't this whole thing be in the Vender's Bazaar?

I suppose, I just only ever go here, so here is where I thought to post. This is where all my discussions have been and where we have talked about my designs. It just seemed natural that this is where the people who would be most interested would be.
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:09 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sub ?

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee
I am not sure what phase shift you mean, the response at any point is the sum of the individual sources, and the phase is based on that same sum. There is no reason to believe that it would be any better or worse than a single sub. And I suppose its a tradeoff - large frequency response irregularities are certainly audible, so that has to be the first priority.
I worded that poorly. I was actually trying to say that I didn't think phase would be an issue.
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:10 PM   #50
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

(That's REAL research in acoustics and not Bose style research; in marketing.)

There is NO Bose marketing manager or Research Engineer here to defend this statement!

I am sure they so some research(mainly users' sound taste) probably not as extensive as you do, in terms engineering/technical excellence. Clever/Smart marketing makes successful product whether it sounds good is another matter, it applies to other products as well. I think you know this.

Looking forward towards using your baffle and waveguide.

Hide this!Advertise here!