• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DE250 16 Ohm

Hi Earl,

Your kit webpage says that you use the DE250-16, which is the 16 ohm version of this driver(?). Is it a deliberate design choice to use 16 ohm versions? If so, for what reason/s? So if one is to source their own drivers (which I surmise are mostly 8 Ohms in the retail market), would a different set of crossover values be used?

Thank you.

Re: DE250 16 Ohm

fred76 said:
Hi Earl,

Your kit webpage says that you use the DE250-16, which is the 16 ohm version of this driver(?). Is it a deliberate design choice to use 16 ohm versions? If so, for what reason/s? So if one is to source their own drivers (which I surmise are mostly 8 Ohms in the retail market), would a different set of crossover values be used?

Thank you.

Yes of course its deliberate. The reason is that the voltage efficiency of the 8 ohm is too high so the higher Re helps. If you don't use exactly the same driver that the crossover was designed for it won't work properly. This is always the case.

We used the Eminence 12 HO with the shorting ring in the ESP12 because we thought (based on some early tests and published specs) it did not have a small dimple in the woofers passband that the 12TBX100 had. But when we got the bulk shipment they all had the same problem as the 12TBX100. If the prices are comparable then I would opt for the B&C, but as I recall the price that I get on the Eminence was quite a bit lower than the B&C and since it worked about the same the Eminence was attractive. But this reduction is not $100, more like $50.

Patrick Bateman said:
The "real" Summa is a no-compromise design that mates a 15" waveguide & a 15" woofer. The achilles heel of the Summa is the woofer. There are only a handful of 15" woofers which can play into the midrange. The B&C 15TBX100 fits the bill, but it is E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.

I know that others have mentioned the 15" Lambda designs, now sold by AE. I can tell you from personal experience that mine play and measure very well. I have the Lambda Apollo motor TDX, and they are expensive too. But I would guess that the main difference between the Apollo and the single shorting ring would be at very high SPL levels, so the Apollo is likely overkill here.

Sheldon

Re: Re: DE250 16 Ohm

gedlee said:

Yes of course its deliberate. The reason is that the voltage efficiency of the 8 ohm is too high so the higher Re helps. If you don't use exactly the same driver that the crossover was designed for it won't work properly. This is always the case.

Thank you Earl... So if used with an 8 ohm woofer, the woofer gets most of the power.

Some Summa pics from an old thread I found online: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=24627.0

Re: DE250

Grumpy_Git said:
The DE250 is listed on the B&C website as an 8 Ohm driver, is the 16 Ohm version you use a special order item?

Nick.

No they stock them here in the US. It may be different in other parts of the world however. Its just a diaphragm change. 8 or 16 is pretty much arbitrary, but the 16 ohm keeps the pad resistors smaller. I used 8 for years and then switched to 16. It makes the other components in the crossover smaller and less expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.