• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MEH said:

Excellent. I was a little concerned about the long-term dimensional stability of polyurethane.

Do you have reason to believe that it would not be stable? Polyurethane is the backbone of modern plastics. In fact polyurethane has replaced wood as the material of choice for model making precisely because of its long term and environmental stability - wood is the one thats not stable. I am not familiar with any problems that poly has with stability once it has properly cured.

I really wouldn't worry about the stability of modern plastics in the world we live in unless you were going to move to a planet other than earth in the near future. Maybe I'm missing something but plastics are used for EVERYTHING (even guns).

I really don't mean to be sarcastic, or an @ss, but the only thing I can think of that people make horns/waveguides out of that is really dimensionally unstable is WOOD.

Chris

p.s. Any preliminary pricing on the Abbey+ or potential (Summa)?

gedlee said:

Do you have reason to believe that it would not be stable? Polyurethane is the backbone of modern plastics. In fact polyurethane has replaced wood as the material of choice for model making precisely because of its long term and environmental stability - wood is the one thats not stable. I am not familiar with any problems that poly has with stability once it has properly cured.
More uncertainty than any positive reason to believe there would be a problem. Saying that polyurethane is the backbone of modern plastics doesn't really mean much, because there are plastics and there are plastics, and there is a great deal of difference between polyurethane foams or flexible, two-part PU and thermoset rigid moldings, e.g. GRP just makes me a little more comfortable than small-scale production of unreinforced plastic.

MEH said:

More uncertainty than any positive reason to believe there would be a problem. Saying that polyurethane is the backbone of modern plastics doesn't really mean much, because there are plastics and there are plastics, and there is a great deal of difference between polyurethane foams or flexible, two-part PU and thermoset rigid moldings, e.g. GRP just makes me a little more comfortable than small-scale production of unreinforced plastic.

Thats up to you, but as far as I am concerned the Poly that I use is perfectly stable and preferable to fiberglass in that it has less dimensional variation on setting than fiberglass. And the fact that poly is used for pro modeling (making masters from which the parts are made) in every industry that I know of IS reason to belive that it is stable.

chrismercurio said:

Earl,

I just noticed that your webpage was updated with the Abbey pricing as well as the breakout that another forum member had asked for.

Thank you,

Chris

No pricing yet on anything that uses the 15" waveguide because I don't yet have the sourcing for that ironed out. Not too long though.

What would be the interest level in a full Summa size speaker?

Very interested. :D

If it doesn't come to fruition...the biggest one available is what I will get. I want dynamic speakers that can be driven by amplifiers of all sizes capable of reproducing real world SPL's. One of the biggest disappointments as a musician is to listen to audiophile systems that do not reproduce dynamics.

A friend of mine has Quad 989's and though tonally I like the midrange on them, I have a hard time listening to them as they have almost no dynamic range.

:D

I'd prefer the Summa to the Abbey+. Since the baffle has to be wide enough for the 15" waveguide fitting the 15" driver shouldn't require much extra material except for the additional cabinet size. The price difference on the woofers at US Speaker is only $16 each, so I can't see not going for the Summa for what appears to be a minimal cost difference. At least it appears to be a minimal difference from here, there may be plenty of things I'm not aware of. :)

mike galusha said:
I think it was the B&C 15 TBX100 but my memory could be wrong, happens often enough...

The woofer is the 15TBX100 and the difference in price to be is greater than what you quoted.

The Abbey+ will have the waveguide "cropped" so there is a lot more cabinet, but thats not a big factor. The biggest factor is the 15" woofer as I have to pay a lot more for it than the 12. I can't explain others pricing on them.

gedlee said:

The woofer is the 15TBX100 and the difference in price to be is greater than what you quoted.

It may be one of them is old stock and newer ones will be more. No idea, I just looked them up to get an idea. :) usspeaker.com shows the 12TBX100 at $294.95 and the 15TBX100 at $309.95. Hopefully your supplier is giving you a better deal on both. In any event I'm up for either of the 15" choices, the Abbey+ or the full Summa, preferring the Summa of course.

For the Canadian interest, Q-components in Waterloo, ON has new pricing for Eminence and B&C.

$163.03 / $131.96 - Drivers for Nathan10 are: B&C 10PS26 / DE250-16
$301.39 / $131.96 - Drivers for Abbey12 are: B&C 12TBX100 / DE250-16
$316.10 / $131.96 - Drivers for Summa are: B&C 15TBX100 / DE250-16
$119.99 / $54.99 - Eminence drivers in Nathan10 are: Kappa Pro 10A / PSD2002-16

Earl, the part number is off from your web page:
"Sub Eminence drivers in Nathan10 (Kappa 10, PDP2002) for B&C: $80 off"

MEH said:

For myself, I can't answer that until I see relative pricing and at least your design performance numbers -- and preferably actual measurements of both Abbey+ and Summa.

Same here. I'm eagerly waiting the first DIY builder reports regarding construction, final cost, listening, measuring. I am most interested in the size/cost/performance comparison.

If the Nathan10 allows for 'excellent' performance with the Eminence drivers, then that be very interesting to me for a 3, 5 or 6 channel theatre setup. If the Abbey+, Summa, Summa+ offer 'outstanding' performance for double the money... I would probably go for the Summa+ ... but then probably only for a pair due to limited space.

I could see a scenario where I build / test / audition the Nathan10 to set the benchmark and make a decision after that (to build more, swap to B&C drivers or build a 12 / 15 / 18).

Earl

sorry to reply so late in the day but regarding my baffle question, i was wondering if you were planning on casting the waveguide and baffle as a single piece of fibreglass. Obviously you have answered my question and stated it will still be mdf.

As it stands at the moment, i am interested in nathans or summas, it all depends on pricing, i'm after quotes for the nathan drivers from the uk distributors.

The summas are impressive though (and i assume they measure better), mortgage overpayments or speakers....... :confused:

Thanks again.

Nick,

tomcat9 said:

That's a good point. For my main front 2, I want Abby+ or Summas. But the Nathan with Eminence should be great for rear channel.

Personally, I would NOT use directional speakers for the surrounds. I'd love to sell you 5 speakers, but I have to tell you that these designs are not what I would, or do, use for surrounds. Surounds should be dipoles or very wide directivity. Bandwidth in the surronds is not important nor is LF. Buy bigger LCR speakers and spend less on the surounds - like a lot less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.