DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 194 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 25th July 2010, 04:34 PM   #1931
jheyau is offline jheyau  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
If anyone in the Portland area would like to hear a pair of Summas, I may be doing a demo on Saturday. Trying to see if there's any interest. I'll also have my "take" on a Danley TH-Mini and something like a Danley Tower of Power on hand. Email me if you're interested. I demo'd the Summas in Seattle last year, but you really have to hear them with the tapped horns to get the full effect.
Please comment on the Danleys.
Old 14th September 2010, 03:03 AM   #1932
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheyau View Post
Please comment on the Danleys.
What would you like to know?
Old 14th September 2010, 03:57 AM   #1933
jheyau is offline jheyau  Canada
diyAudio Member

Danley subs have built up some very impressive reputation over the years, I never have the chance to listen to any of his models, so I was curious to find out what is your experience with them.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:20 PM   #1934
diyAudio Member

Could someone please comment on an idea I have for speaker placement. Taking a large wedge style absorbent corner bass trap, and sculpting it so the speaker fits flush into it, similar to studio style soffit mounting.

The speaker is a large floorstander, and is omnidirectional throughout the bass frequencies, but directional and suitable for corner positioning above the bass frequencies.

The purpose would be to drive the modes evenly and to also tame them...along with the constraints of trying to save floor space combined with the fact that the rear two corners are not available for putting traps into, so I don't want to flush mount and waste bass trap real estate.

I guess I'll want the rear edges of the speakers to be a few inches from the walls so the bass can get past and converge in the corner.
Old 17th September 2010, 03:24 PM   #1935
diyAudio Member

This particular forum is for discussing products from Gedlee.
Your question is an interesting one, but it would be more appropriate in a different forum.
Old 17th September 2010, 08:16 PM   #1936
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalJ View Post
Could someone please comment on an idea I have for speaker placement. Taking a large wedge style absorbent corner bass trap, and sculpting it so the speaker fits flush into it, similar to studio style soffit mounting.

The speaker is a large floorstander, and is omnidirectional throughout the bass frequencies, but directional and suitable for corner positioning above the bass frequencies.

The purpose would be to drive the modes evenly and to also tame them...along with the constraints of trying to save floor space combined with the fact that the rear two corners are not available for putting traps into, so I don't want to flush mount and waste bass trap real estate.

I guess I'll want the rear edges of the speakers to be a few inches from the walls so the bass can get past and converge in the corner.
That should be fine. I forget who posted it, but I think it what discussed having a foam wraparound at one point to limit diffraction. I believe Geddes' home theater is full of absorption directly behind the speakers -so very similar.

-Tony
Old 17th September 2010, 10:31 PM   #1937
diyAudio Member

I apologise if this is the wrong forum. I was reading this thread as I respect Dr Geddes philosophies and I believe he understands room treatment at the fundamental level.
Old 18th September 2010, 09:44 PM   #1938
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheyau View Post
Danley subs have built up some very impressive reputation over the years, I never have the chance to listen to any of his models, so I was curious to find out what is your experience with them.
First I tried a tapped horn and a bandpass sub. That wasn't enough output to match my Summas.

I briefly tried a dipole sub with some TC Sounds fifteens, and that worked pretty darn well. Definitely the easiest solution, but the size of the baffle was insane. (Something like fifty square feet!)

Next I tried an array of sealed subs, and that was the worst by far. Distortion products were very audible, and it colored the sound of the midbass.

At the moment I am using three subs. On is an infrasonic tapped horn that's very similar to the Tower of Power. The other is very similar to the TH-Mini. The last is a bandpass sub.

I'm fairly happy with the results, but I *could* use some extra output down low. The 'Tower of Power' clone goes so deep, it flexes the walls of the house itself. But due to these insane amounts of excursion, I should really invest some effort in adding braces, and buy a bigger amp.

Or better yet, add another 'Tower of Power' type sub.

Also, I don't think the 'Tower of Power' type sub is worthwhile if you listen to music primarily. When watching movies, there's a TON of low frequency content, but when I listen to music, I don't hear it much.

Old 20th September 2010, 11:16 AM   #1939
diyAudio Member

Curious that you didn't like sealed subs? These should have the fewest distortion products if implemented correctly?

Has anyone here tried matching against an infinite baffle sub? I have a stereo IB in my setup which uses the underfloor space that we have in most british homes (I guess you folks on the other side of the pond call it a "crawl space"?).

The IB gives a lot of output, with very low distortion and can be adjusted to be pretty flat down to single digit Hz levels.

I'm interested in adding a pair of Abbeys, but haven't got around to doing much more than planning at the moment (shortage of time to play with hifi...)
Old 20th September 2010, 11:26 AM   #1940
diyAudio Member

ewild, the measurements tend to show that sealed subs have higher distortion than just about everything else. Bandpass subs filter acoustically (and the filtering is applied also to distortion products), horns reduce distortion overall while vented boxes reduce it around tuning. I'd guess that open baffle bass would have the highest distortion, but IB gets low distortion through sheer numbers. There are quite a few measurements at the HT shack of commercial and diy subs.

Hide this!Advertise here!