DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 14th May 2008, 08:31 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

gedlee,
I assume these are suitable for HT but what would the center channel configuration be if horozontal orientation were required?

Ray
Old 14th May 2008, 08:43 PM   #122
gedlee is online now gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Collins
gedlee,
I assume these are suitable for HT but what would the center channel configuration be if horozontal orientation were required?

Ray

I don't quite understand what you mean. In my HT I use three identical units across the front. The outside two are toed in. The center one is straight ahead.

If you mean that you need to lay it on its side to place it under the screen, well thats not a good solution. The center channel is critically important in film, its most of the sound and virtually ALL of the dialog. It needs to be behind the screen. Don't use a screen? You should, its the only way to get the sound right. Make the screen out of a bed sheet and its perfectly acoustically transparent.

From my experiments I'd rather use a phantom center than use a higher or lower speaker placed on its side. Phantom works OK, speakers below the screen don't - neither do ones above the screen. The image just isn't right. Thats not the way the film was mixed.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:45 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peufeu

I'm theeeeeere
Thats one!! Just need another hundred or so and it will be a decent market.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:55 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

gedlee,
Thanks but I am using a plasma and do not have a choice regarding center orientation--it must be placed on its side beneath the screen. Since 80% of the sound is distributed through the center, I think the lesser compromise is to have it slightly displaced rather than not having a center. A required compromise and forced choice. Oh well...

Ray
Old 14th May 2008, 09:08 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

I kindly disagree.

IMO, you are better off having NO center channel and sending that information to the LR's than fruitlessly spending money on a speaker that will be oriented incorrectly. This causes detrimental lobing effects, comb filtering, and frequency response anomalies that have nothing to do with the Speaker Dr Geddes has engineered.

It is (one of) the greatest pieces of misinformation that marketing people have provided to the public at large that laying an MTM loudspeaker is OK. Center channels are "supposed" to widen the sweet spot and listening area over a wider space. Laying a speaker on it's side that was not designed for it actually hinders this concept.

Please, save your money and your ears.

Chris
Old 14th May 2008, 09:21 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

chrismercurio,
I appreciate your interest but I did not say that I was going to lay an MTM speaker on its side and use it as a center channel....even if I did I doubt that it would hurt my ears. The height of the center speaker baffle would be limited to 13" I my particular application and as wide as the designer felt feasable. As for money, that is not a factor.

gedlee,
Thanks for the response. If I go without a center I will probably use four of your kits. What is your time frame on orders?

Ray
Old 14th May 2008, 09:35 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Ray,

A TM speaker laid on it's side has issues as well. It is designed to be used upright and placing it on it's side compromises the performance significantly.

C
Old 14th May 2008, 09:39 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismercurio
I kindly disagree.

IMO, you are better off having NO center channel and sending that information to the LR's than fruitlessly spending money on a speaker that will be oriented incorrectly. This causes detrimental lobing effects, comb filtering, and frequency response anomalies that have nothing to do with the Speaker Dr Geddes has engineered.

It is (one of) the greatest pieces of misinformation that marketing people have provided to the public at large that laying an MTM loudspeaker is OK. Center channels are "supposed" to widen the sweet spot and listening area over a wider space. Laying a speaker on it's side that was not designed for it actually hinders this concept.

Please, save your money and your ears.

Chris

Chris

I whole heartedly agree and I have done these studies myself. A phantom channel works pretty good if you have GOOD left and right mains, but speakers on the floor (or high up) or turned on their side is a bad idea. The typical center channel as sold at the stores is a total waste of money that only degrades the sound. I have told this to so many people!! But they go to the stores and some salesman tells them otherwise - AND THEY BELIEVE THE SALESMAN!!

I have a plasma and I have a projector - there is no contest which is better - its not the plasma (or LCD). For watching a film the projector is far better. For TV they are about the same. TV is adjusted for this kind of display, but film is done for projection.
Old 14th May 2008, 09:48 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

C,
Neither did I say I was going to lay a TM on its side.

Gedlee,
I did not inquire about your speakers to be subjected to one of your diatribes. Plasma vs. projection video was not the point of my interest. I withdraw my inquiry of interest.

Ray
Old 14th May 2008, 10:08 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Collins
Gedlee,
I did not inquire about your speakers to be subjected to one of your diatribes. Plasma vs. projection video was not the point of my interest. I withdraw my inquiry of interest.

Ray

Ray I did not mean to offend you and I appologize if I did but I really don't understand why you would be. It offends you that I like projectors over plasma?

Hide this!Advertise here!