DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 26th January 2009, 04:12 PM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Question "omni" for surround?

How about a monopole, but that is located close to the ceiling but fired upwards, so that it is reflected off of the ceiling to be more diffuse?

Sound crazy?

That is a gr research design that intrigues me. It may not be original to Danny, but it was the first that I have seen it.
http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=113

Seems it would waste one of the main points of the waveguide though - CD.
And mixing these kits with that design would lose the consistent timbre matching that is required.

-Tony
Old 26th January 2009, 04:46 PM   #1002
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Tony

IU wouldn't rule that out. CD is always an advantage and even if they fire upwards they are still CD. Its the tembre match of the Harpers to the other speakers that intrigues me.
Old 26th January 2009, 06:49 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

Did you figure out a solution with the center channel? I saw some posts on that and gave an idea a while back -but I don't know if you came to any conclusions on that matter. Did I miss it?

-Tony
Old 26th January 2009, 07:03 PM   #1004
diyAudio Member

By "solution" do you mean the axial hole which is in the field of listening for the center channel? No, I haven't dealt with that yet. On my system, its not a big deal since the axial hole on the 15" waveguide is pretty benign. On the Nathans and Abbeys, I have not sold very many center channels to be concenred about. But you raise a good point that I should get back to. The thing to do would be to optimize the crossover for a better axial response for the center channel. Thats easy enough and could be made to yield a much better axial response, albeit a slightly degraded off axis one. Putting the speaker on its side and tilting it up might be another improvement.
Old 26th January 2009, 07:06 PM   #1005
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Hey I bought one to use as a center. What are we talking about here, did I miss something. What axial hole are you referring to. If I place it on its side there is a hole? What if it's placed behind the screen but oriented as normal? How about below the screen, angled up, again, oriented vertically, as normal?
Old 26th January 2009, 07:11 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Matt

Yes, the center speaker might be improved with a slight crossover change. I'm just now looking at that.

There is an axial hole in the response - right on axis. So if you sit right on axis to the center speaker there is a dip in the direct field response. How audible this effect is is unknown.

I'll let you know if I can recommend a crossover change.
Old 26th January 2009, 07:32 PM   #1007
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Maybe then as a temporary fix I should lay it on it's side. You mentioned tipping it up, but I wonder if no angle or very little is better yet to maintain the off axis response? I would assume avoiding ground reflections a good thing, but then, isn't carpet and a carpet pad pretty absorbent?
Old 26th January 2009, 07:48 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

OOps posted the correction to the other thread on your speakers. You can see it there.
Old 26th January 2009, 07:50 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pjpoes
Maybe then as a temporary fix I should lay it on it's side. You mentioned tipping it up, but I wonder if no angle or very little is better yet to maintain the off axis response? I would assume avoiding ground reflections a good thing, but then, isn't carpet and a carpet pad pretty absorbent?
As to the floor reflection, I found that it took a pad about 2-3 inches thick to work well. And then there is the ceiling.
Old 27th January 2009, 06:03 AM   #1010
diyAudio Member

"How about below the screen, angled up, again, oriented vertically, as normal?"

Really determined to get that axial hole aimed at you so you can fix it, eh?

I'm really surprised at this talk of putting the center on it's side and the resulting asymmetry in horizontal response.

Why not just face it directly forward and let the axial hole hit you in the knees?

Hide this!Advertise here!