DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > GedLee

GedLee Home of the renown Geddes Loudspeakers

Old 8th May 2008, 06:43 PM   #91
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by publius

I look forward to learning more about it.

Will the crossover have a way to adjust for running without the foam?
You can learn all you'll likely to ever be able to learn by going to www.ai-audio.com - the ESP10 is virtually identical to the kit, except the cabinet is wood not fiberglass and waveguide is a different material. More info than is this not likely to happen.

No, the speaker cannot be run without foam. But modern foam is not an issue anymore. I have not seen any change in more than five years and I expect 20 years without a problem.
Old 8th May 2008, 08:30 PM   #92
publius is offline publius  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

You can learn all you'll likely to ever be able to learn by going to www.ai-audio.com - the ESP10 is virtually identical to the kit, except the cabinet is wood not fiberglass and waveguide is a different material. More info than is this not likely to happen.

No, the speaker cannot be run without foam. But modern foam is not an issue anymore. I have not seen any change in more than five years and I expect 20 years without a problem.
So people who get this kit will also need to get two subs, something like the ESP BB Sub 15 in order to fill-in the bass (not the sub-bass <40hz, just the regular bass 40-100hz)? Are those going to be offered as part of the kit, or another kit?

Have you considered that most people don't have subs that can keep up with the high SPL of the ESP10?
Old 8th May 2008, 09:08 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Default the missing pieces....

it would be great to have high efficiency subs to go with these, especially bandpass, though the boxes will be a bit more challenging.

C
Old 8th May 2008, 09:15 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Earl how do I contact you? I seem to have missed the email address. Also do you have a pair of 10" waveguides with foam available?
Old 8th May 2008, 09:17 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Default Re: the missing pieces....

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismercurio
it would be great to have high efficiency subs to go with these, especially bandpass, though the boxes will be a bit more challenging.

C

I have sub designs, but there isn't any way to make any money on these as the value added is so small. I have to get $400 each for the sub kits and this is just not in line with the mains kits cost wise. I can't see how anyone would pay $400 for a sub when the mains are only $600. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll rethink this. Maybe I'll just sell the plans (like that has any potential!).
Old 8th May 2008, 09:20 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by augerpro
Earl how do I contact you? I seem to have missed the email address. Also do you have a pair of 10" waveguides with foam available?
E-mail me at egeddes@gedlee.com. I will be building waveguides with foam and mounting plates next week. But you have to get on the waiting list by making a downpayment. I can't promise a time on delivery until I know better the time it takes to make the baffle and I just don't have that data right now.
Old 8th May 2008, 09:22 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:

So people who get this kit will also need to get two subs, something like the ESP BB Sub 15 in order to fill-in the bass (not the sub-bass <40hz, just the regular bass 40-100hz)? Are those going to be offered as part of the kit, or another kit?

Have you considered that most people don't have subs that can keep up with the high SPL of the ESP10?

If you do the system design correctly this is not a problem. By this I mean use several subs and the efficiency will be there. No a single sub won't work very well, but then they never do.

And because a speaker is efficient does not mean that you HAVE TO play it loud.

As I have said before, subs are cheap. Just go to Costco and buy three of them at $100 each - powered! I can't compete with that.
Old 8th May 2008, 09:54 PM   #98
publius is offline publius  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

If you do the system design correctly this is not a problem. By this I mean use several subs and the efficiency will be there. No a single sub won't work very well, but then they never do.

And because a speaker is efficient does not mean that you HAVE TO play it loud.

As I have said before, subs are cheap. Just go to Costco and buy three of them at $100 each - powered! I can't compete with that.
What calculations are you using that allow three Costco $100 subs to produce bass from 40-100hz that can keep up with this kit? Your proposal seems like a total mismatch to me. I would think that you would need two of these: http://jblpro.com/products/portables...x/prx518s.html
or something similar.

I suppose that high efficiency has benefits other than being able to play loud, but you were poo-pooing Linkwitz and his Orion for its marginal SPL capabilities. Oh well, I suppose this isn't what I was hoping for.

Will you be offering your horns/foam inserts as a separate product?
Old 8th May 2008, 10:30 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

I think people would pay for box plans, a driver (or 2), and a plate amp.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:27 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What calculations are you using that allow three Costco $100 subs to produce bass from 40-100hz that can keep up with this kit? Your proposal seems like a total mismatch to me. I would think that you would need two of these: http://jblpro.com/products/portables...x/prx518s.html
or something similar.

Will you be offering your horns/foam inserts as a separate product?
Having a lot of experince here, ONE 18" sub (the ULF18) is definately enough SPL for the large ESP15. For these much smaller 10's in a HT or living room three Costco subs would definatly be enough for 110 dB SPL - maybe not 120, but then these smaller systems won't do that either. These ARE NOT the large 15's, they are almost 3 dB less efficient and at least 10 dB less MaxSPL.

I think that your suggestion might be overkill.

I will sell the waveguides and foam plugs separately with one contingency - the full kits will take precidence. Hence, if I can sell all the waveguides that I can make as kits then there won't be any available as separates. At the moment I will guarantee waveguides if a deposit is paid. I may not do that in the future, we'll see.

Hide this!Advertise here!