What to build with these...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to use these Philips AD 706 6,5" Fullrange elements, quite modified.
Measured data:
8 ohms
Q=0.7
Vas= 17 liter (0,6cu.ft)
Sensitivity = 90dB
Fs = 70Hz
supposed to roll off at 18khz

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They are dusty and dirty but in perfekt shape.

I'm leaning towards horns or dipoles, what du you guys think?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
depending of room and space you have;
try them on temp baffles ,then- if you think they deserve that,build bigger baffles with 15" bass helper and helper tweet ( if needed) ;

look at "beyond the ariel " thread

and- google for "lampizator" , then check his speaker pages

if you have no room for OB, find this :

http://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/DIY/DIY-MH-14-light3.pdf

Zen Mod said:
depending of room and space you have;
try them on temp baffles ,then- if you think they deserve that,build bigger baffles with 15" bass helper and helper tweet ( if needed) ;

look at "beyond the ariel " thread

and- google for "lampizator" , then check his speaker pages

The speakers I'm building are for my brothers daughter, it's her first stereo I'm putting together. For ampification I'll use LM3886 chipamp.
My brothers budget for this build doesn't allow for further drivers.

Do I understand you correct that you suggest open baffle design?

I use that myself with Dayton 15" IB, Seas P17RCY and B&G NEO8.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mayday said:
That horn design you linked to looks intresting, do you think this driver is suitable for that?

even if not completely adequate - and you can find out only building it- it will be miles ahead any boxie box you can made for it.

all that - if that driver is anywhere near old good AD Philips series.

anyway-little girl will be thrilled with completely unique spks ;)

now-serious- good horn construction are way more forgivable to various driver than closed or BR boxes.
at least for my limited knowledge

After talking to the girl that is going to use these speakers, she was leaning towards OB design, since she likes my dipoles.

Question is, can these drivers alone on an OB reach adequate listening volume? Not Very loud, just enough for everyday use in an apartement.

Mayday, would you believe I am currently working on some 6" Panasonics, with a Fs of 76Hz, on little OBs. The idea was to extract as much sound from these as possible.

OK, they won't shake the floor, but do go quite low for what they are.

The size of the baffle is 460mm high, 300 wide, with sides, 165mm at the lower end, tapering to 118mm at the top, (to be reduced) and a full width top shelf of 76mm.

All made from recycled MDF. I started with just the baffle. Played with different sized wings, to bring the bass up. I have lost a bit of sound stage, that's why I am trimming down the sides. in my case, a bass helper will fix the bottom octave or two.

I would give the back of the cone 1 coat of PVA, the whizzer 1 coat, front and back, the area behind the whizzer a coat, then 1 more coat over all the front of the main cone.

If you have some bitumen paint/sealer, some around the perimeter of the whizzer kills of some edge resonance. A light coat on the roll surround will raise the Fs a bit, which is OK on the small baffle. Mine started at 70Hz.

She will be pleased. I have passed on a few tweaking experiments to younger folk.

Geoff.

Edit: Hey Zen, they are old Philips. Not old enough for alnico though.

Geoff H said:
Mayday, would you believe I am currently working on some 6" Panasonics, with a Fs of 76Hz, on little OBs. The idea was to extract as much sound from these as possible.

OK, they won't shake the floor, but do go quite low for what they are.

The size of the baffle is 460mm high, 300 wide, with sides, 165mm at the lower end, tapering to 118mm at the top, (to be reduced) and a full width top shelf of 76mm.

All made from recycled MDF. I started with just the baffle. Played with different sized wings, to bring the bass up. I have lost a bit of sound stage, that's why I am trimming down the sides. in my case, a bass helper will fix the bottom octave or two.

I would give the back of the cone 1 coat of PVA, the whizzer 1 coat, front and back, the area behind the whizzer a coat, then 1 more coat over all the front of the main cone.

If you have some bitumen paint/sealer, some around the perimeter of the whizzer kills of some edge resonance. A light coat on the roll surround will raise the Fs a bit, which is OK on the small baffle. Mine started at 70Hz.

She will be pleased. I have passed on a few tweaking experiments to younger folk.

Geoff.

Edit: Hey Zen, they are old Philips. Not old enough for alnico though.

I'm thinking of a baffle size of about 1,5x1m or there around.
A few questions; what's PVA, and what's wizzer?

If I understand you correctly, one layer on the back of the cone, one layer on each side of the wizzer and one layer on the frontside of the cone. Can this be done without removing the cone from the basket, never done that.

You got it. Actually you end up with two coats on the front of the main cone under the whizzer. This stiffens up that area to boost the top end a little.

Be patient treating the back of the cone, working under the basket. Avoid the surround, spider, and leads. Artists brushes are fine for this. You could even have your niece involved with that.

Geoff H said:
You got it. Actually you end up with two coats on the front of the main cone under the whizzer. This stiffens up that area to boost the top end a little.

Be patient treating the back of the cone, working under the basket. Avoid the surround, spider, and leads. Artists brushes are fine for this. You could even have your niece involved with that.

Just having a hard time imageining plain wood glue to work as a coater....
What's in the ones selling for a pretty penny then?

I don't know. I use wood glue and craft glue. The craft glue is thinner than the wood glue. You can dilute with acetone.

It does bond all the surface fibres, giving a cleaner, better defined sound. I have just done a head count. There are 9 drivers here that have had the treatment....

Geoff H said:
I don't know. I use wood glue and craft glue. The craft glue is thinner than the wood glue. You can dilute with acetone.

It does bond all the surface fibres, giving a cleaner, better defined sound. I have just done a head count. There are 9 drivers here that have had the treatment....

I'll dilute the wood clue a bit then i think since that would mean easier application I can imagine.

Any tips on how to get dust and partikels of the cone before coating it?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: 12 inch philips speakers

Jaap said:
I have 2 twelve inch Philips full rangers somewhere in the cellar. Anyone aware of a good design for these ?

digg them and look what type they are;
but I'm almost sure that you'll receive answer (at least from me) that they're good for nothing,and I'm generous to give proper disposal service for them,if you pay shipping............ ;)

I saw several projects on net for them ..........

I also have two philips "bombardons" bassspeakers, but that is a different story

bombardons?

:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.