What to build with these...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zen Mod said:
[ll that - if that driver is anywhere near old good AD Philips series.

I'm in late to this thread .... hope i'm not repeating something that is said in the next 4 pages...

What vinatge is that unit... except for the whizzer it doesn't look much like any of the Philips i'm used to seeing, but as Zen Mod says if it is anything like the ones from 70s, early 80s it should do well on an OB...

what wood did you use for the phase plugs?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mayday said:
Does damar need to be thinned? I'm guessing I should apply it as thin as I can?

The stuff i buy at the art store is already mixed up... i've been using it on whizzers to good effect, but i hesitate to use it on the main cone -- i prefer to use puzzlecoat (a PVA that remains a bit more flexible than wood glue)... http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

i thin it until it is runny, and on a full range use 2 (or maybe 3) coats on the front-- using almost as little as possible. If i wwant to significantly stiffen the cone, i'll also do the back... you end up with a poor mans sandwich cone -- but in a full-range this isn't always the best thing, since the cone needs to flex to get decent HF performance. Too much and you can turn a FR into a midbass.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can't really tell that the cone has been puzzlecoated in this one, but you can see how the damar has changed the colour of the whizzer (it used to match the surround)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mayday said:
Model is AD 706

I've run across lots of AD7060 (with octanganal basket and brown main cones) but not these...

dave

Attachments

• philipsad7060-m5.jpg
    philipsad7060-m5.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 93
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.