4.5" Full Range in Monitor style

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, with the announcement of the hemp acoustics coaxials, my upgrade of the crossovers on my Tannoy HPD's are on hold so i am waiting to see what they come out like.

meanwhile at home when back from uni, i dont have a suitiable small speakers to use in my small bedroom, i have been doing lots of research over the last couple of years on small drivers, and have actually played with the CSS FR125S, and loved them, but other projects came up and with regret i sold them.

i also have a pair of old 19Lish cabinets that are empty and would be good if i could recycle them with a bit of adjustment. and although i know its not the right way round, but my woodworking skills are somewhat limited :)

now i would like to use either a new pair of CSS FR125S, which i have modeled in WinISD and should work in that size enclosure, ported or sealed, the other option is the Fostex FX120 and the recommended size is about 10L i think.

i would rather have a flater FR as i find ever so bright speakers unbearable, so as these two drivers have a reasonably flat response and not a rising response. and also they wound have to be played that loud as my room is about 3m square roughly.

main thing is that the FX120 is twice the price of the FR125S....

any advice?

Praise be. ;)

The FX120 is a lovely unit but if it's simply intended for home / bedroom duties, I'd be inclined to go for the CSS units and pocket the difference to spend on more music, or go toward future upgrades to your main setup. The CSS as you know is by no means a poor driver anyway -for the price, it's something of a bargin.

thanks, having had the FR125S's before i know how good they are, and are even more annoyed that i sold them including cabinets for around £50 :(

i think they are the best bet and could even buy a pair for each cabinet and use the other as BSC etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.