AJ-Horn & BiB - ar some BiB "parabolic"? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2007, 12:43 AM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AJ-Horn & BiB - ar some BiB "parabolic"?

I didn't go through all the possible flares, but "parabolic" seemed about right in vessel air volume (conical only gave 127l) and simulation with At ~0 and 35 inches driver offset with 206 looks plausable (?) do any AJ users have comments?

a 206E parameter sim & comparison to RCA-Fan's k-slot which is the same volume cabinet but quite a bit different in path, etc.

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1600
Old 6th April 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No, not in flare, they're technically linear, although they behave in a very similar way to conical expansion. Having said that, I'm looking at possible different flares that can be created by some minor changes, and quasi-parabolic is one of these. Looks like it could offer something of interest anyway. The Vb of TC's original BIB is the same as the back chamber of a 24Hz hypex horn BTW. Or so I gather -I haven't checked it myself. I somehow doubt that Terry intended that, but an interesting piece of trivia for you.
Old 6th April 2007, 02:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

with AJ and 206 BiB - it gets down to only one flare description out of seven giving the right overall horn bulk so that may be one clue on how to (hopefully) make it best fit existing horn/etc, ---AJ will design new horn and give contour --- might look at a few more BiB and see how results compare to Zilla's page of graphs.

AJ horn volume output for 206 BiB with AT = 0.001 sq.cm. Driver position =0.89M, L=4.42M, h=20.78 cm, b = 41.56 cm, dl=0.2M

conical=127.28 l, exponential = 27.93 l, parabolic = 190.86 l, hyperbolic = 25.35 l, octohyperbolic = 17.89 l, geometric = 0.01 l, tractrix = 31.56 l
Old 6th April 2007, 03:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yep - looks like "parabolic" is it out of available choices for BIB and AJ-Horn. How does 166 BiB stack up dynamically vs 206 BiB?

Zilla's FE166 is 97.7925l, AJ under "parabolic" gives 97.78l and the following simulation comparison

AJ-sim using parabolic
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6...ebibrawnh5.jpg

Zilla sim
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1...66grapheb9.gif

Hide this!Advertise here!