Coral Beta 10 - Alternative Smaller Boxes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone has tried using their Coral Beta 10 in a smaller enclosure than the one recomended by Coral which is a multi-ported BR design measuring 870x500x400mm = 174Litres.

I like the sound of the Beta 10's a lot, and was thinking of building some smaller boxes to make best use of their lovely voicing and dynamics down to about 100Hz and then pick it up from there with some bass boxes using a high quality 10-15" driver to achieve stronger bass around the 25-40 Hz region.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has tried any smaller boxes for the Corals successfully, something around 50-60L perhaps ??

TIA...

Regards,

Steve M.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Looks that way.

Anyway, no experience with Coral beyond calcing cabs for others from provided specs, but in reviewing what info I have, it appears that the factory cabs are ~Vb = Vas, ~Fb = Fs, ergo Vas = ~174 L and from some measured specs Fs = ~39 Hz, so I'm assuming your vented cab is tuned pretty close to this.

If true, then a ~50 L sealed cab is ideal for a very low output impedance system, ergo for tubes and/or high DCR passive XO, a larger cab will be required.

GM

Thanks GM, I might give a 50L sealed box a go ...got some nice 20w/ch 6C33-CB S.E.T monoblocs to try out with the Corals too.

BTW, the low frequency response published by Coral for the 174L vented box is 32 hz, but I feel that no point source driver on its own can ever give impactful bass so I'm going to match the Beta 10 with some 10" Focal 11K7411 or Eton 11-581 bass drivers ...

Regards,

Steve M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.