Mileva & other Monolith shaped speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hemp "Matrix" = Kevlar and hemp mix. This is not the recipe invented by John Harrison of Tone Tubby. The real deal has green cones. www.abrown.com Go to Sales. Hidden in this corner are the 8 inch V2 FR8. Harrison pulled licensing to Hemp Acoustics. Hemp "Matrix," is the "reaction," to losing access to the "eleven herbs and spices." Apperently now available, awaiting independent measurement, is an 8 inch Higher Q guitar cone. I heard these, the Alnico 10 &12 in Anaheim and gawd, are they lovely sounding speakers. The cones are green. I am very interested in seeing what the guitar 8 looks like on paper. It will reach far higher than the 6.5KHz of the 10. The Alnico Hemps are stunning. The guys reeelly like their "Super Boy" bass guitar speaker. This one should be explored. 24L Vas, Fs/60, 96db, these speakers are ALL highly useable for home audio.

The Omega OEM cones are Tone Tubby licensed. Louis and John Harrison will be working closely, and I can say that after Anaheim there is little doubt that Tone Tubby et al will be exploiting the audio market as much as possible, while their core activity in the home office will be guitar speakers.

I think the Hemp/Kevlar "Matrix" would be an interesting listen.

...Tone Tubby et al will be exploiting the audio market as much as possible

Let's hope that includes some nice options for DIYers. As for their current 8", that freq resp in combination with a whizzer is a recipe to lead to my long-term dissatisfaction - I have read a couple of comments that it can become irritating to those sensitive to such things. I know, posting something does not make it so for everyone, but understanding what gives me the irrits in music reproduction has me thinking it unsuitable for me.

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification Dan - it will help those who have not been following the hemp developments from the start.

Regards

That said, I prefer being 'whizzer free' for critical listening and use a super tweeter if need be.

I am with you on that GM. Such an arrangement would be a more satisfying option for me. An 8" should go high enough to prevent the need to cross in the critical range. That said, I will probably opt for a 6.5" or 4.5", which should reach even higher.

Thanks for the link tho - I had fully forgotten about that...

Raymond

G

Joined 2002
dmason said:
Hemp "Matrix" = Kevlar and hemp mix. This is not the recipe invented by John Harrison of Tone Tubby. The real deal has green cones. www.abrown.com Go to Sales. Hidden in this corner are the 8 inch V2 FR8. Harrison pulled licensing to Hemp Acoustics. Hemp "Matrix," is the "reaction," to losing access to the "eleven herbs and spices." Apperently now available, awaiting independent measurement, is an 8 inch Higher Q guitar cone. I heard these, the Alnico 10 &12 in Anaheim and gawd, are they lovely sounding speakers. The cones are green. I am very interested in seeing what the guitar 8 looks like on paper. It will reach far higher than the 6.5KHz of the 10. The Alnico Hemps are stunning. The guys reeelly like their "Super Boy" bass guitar speaker. This one should be explored. 24L Vas, Fs/60, 96db, these speakers are ALL highly useable for home audio.

The Omega OEM cones are Tone Tubby licensed. Louis and John Harrison will be working closely, and I can say that after Anaheim there is little doubt that Tone Tubby et al will be exploiting the audio market as much as possible, while their core activity in the home office will be guitar speakers.

I think the Hemp/Kevlar "Matrix" would be an interesting listen.

How high does the Super Boy go? I thought the specs for it looked interesting also. May be a real killer with horns.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi,

Your email is sitting waiting for me to get time to answer. I will answer here instead.

Mileva is not suited to the FE108e∑. Scott (Woden) and i have recently done an ML-Voigt for this driver. It is not in a monolith-style format, but i might be able to warp it into one, i’d have to play a bit before i decide if it is doable. If it is that variation could be added to the paid planset.

We are working on a series of monolith boxes for the Mark Audio A7.3/A10.3/A10p/A12pw suited for near or on-wall placement. The A10.3/10p box is done.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As i said, we have an ML-Voigt for the FE108e∑ but in a regular monkey-coffin shape. I have done a 1st pass in converting it to a monolith, but more work is needed before i pass it to Scott. Doing this possibly introduces some compromises.

Lancet-visualX900.gif

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I haven't listened to these speakers in years, but just plugged them into my new ALPHA 20 and ALPHA 52 Class A amps, and wow, that fullrange magic is still there. Pretty amazingly rich full bass. 86dB sensitivity goes well with a 20w Class A amp. But it is just over the top when powered with a 52w Class A amp (the CPU fan cooled one).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...id-aleph-alpha-amplifier-172.html#post5403913

attachment.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.