Horn sub designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
20Hz tapped horns

Scottmoose said:
I've done some bass-extenders in the nature of the BIB over on the zilla pages- www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp -they're not really subs though as they weren't designed to go particularly low. Something I really should look into properly at some point.

I would love to see a 20Hz sub horn using a 15" driver. One web site that was mentioned on the AA forum, that had some interesting designs was Cowan Audio. That 19Hz tapped horn looks like a cool project!:bigeyes:

Nearly forgot Shadow, it's variations, and Cerberus. BVR horns crossed with Olson / Nagaoka stepped expansion, crossed with who-knows-what. I don't myself, and I designed the things.

Anway the former began with 2 Extremis 6.8s, bipolar, and can accept a single 15in magnesium coned woofer as an alternative for those who like more physical grunt. See the Calhoun thread in the main loudspeakers section. Cerberus is a doubled version with 4 extremis 6.8s (or 2 15in woofers for the insane) for when the others just seem a little too limp.

Something like Steve Schell's Big Bottom Horn?
Built as a roughly 8' by 8' by 2' box which exhausts out one side. It sits along a wall, the mouth ideally aimed at a corner 4' away.
The plane wave expansion out of a 90 degree, floor to ceiling corner (8' ceiling) actually plots out as a parabola, but nicely meshes with the 15Hz flare, coming quite close to maintaining the horn shape out to a total length of 35' or so.
The length inside the box is 20 feet; the flare rate is 15Hz.
A 15" woofer drives the horn through a 67 square inch throat, about a 2:1 compression ratio.
The area at the mouth exit is 92" by 22.5", or 14.4 square feet.
The horn is an exponential design, or more exactly a series of conical sections approximating an exponential flare (no curved wood).
Has used a JBL D-130 or Altec 515-16G driver.
Measured at the mouth, the horn has an average SPL of 107dB with a 1 watt input, and a -3dB point of about 21Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.