What to build next (or, convince me to try another fullranger)? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2007, 01:47 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

how is the removing of subsonic bass accomplished, I put in the notch filter in mine, but not finished yet.

gychang
I used a digital equalizer in my PC. There were some folks who built active-crossover type circuits too, not sure how those work. Personally, I haven't really given the bass-cut a proper listen yet, so I can't really vouch for it. Just thought I'd bring it up.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

how is the removing of subsonic bass accomplished, I put in the notch filter in mine, but not finished yet.
You can build the Second Order Highpass from this Passive Line-Level Crossover article on Daves site. This filter would ge BEFORE the power amp.

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

BUT this is not audio nirvana here. Bass is surprisingly good from a 3" driver, but does fall short. Complex passages get muddy, that I really find unacceptable.
I don't mean to spoil the Horn-Party here but I'm having the same problem with my Audio Nirvana 6.5 (Fostex Clones) in a BL-Horn. They get muddy only at higher listening levels thou, AND it's not one of Dave/Scotts designs, but I tend to believe that complex and loud is a no good idea for most Fullrangerers.

cheers, LC
Old 26th March 2007, 05:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Depends where the problem is as to the cause. And of course you're right: an FR driver, however you load it, is never going to beat a good multiway (preferably horn loaded of course: I'm thinking Altec VOTT or Tannoy Westminster Royal HE here) on something like Pink Floyd, to cite but one evil example, but it should do better than you're describing if you get them loaded right, assuming the drivers are up to it of course. Out of curiosity, which drivers & cabinet are you running, if you don't mind my asking? Where's the main problem? Midband? LF? Higher up?

Best
Scott
Old 26th March 2007, 09:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

The driver is the Audio Nirvana 6.5 standard, the cabinet an old Fostex design, the BK201 here's a Plan. The combination sounds quite nice without any filters (although the BK201 has a pretty bad reputation) and goes down to ~60Hz. But as I said, with complex music, mainly Prog-Rock in my case, and higher levels, the high end really suffers.

best, LC

(...bought the drivers to build a BIB, but things have changed...)
Old 26th March 2007, 10:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I know that feeling.

Well, there's nothing a cabinet can do to affect the sound over 1KHz as all it's really doing is providing a stable mounting for the driver. Below that... I reckon we can do better than a 201, though it's not a terrible box. Prog rock is some of the most demanding music to reproduce around so compared to, say, a VOTT, an FR unit is always going to struggle a bit.
Old 26th March 2007, 11:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

It ain't that bad Scott, the Horn is most probably gonna stay in my little collection, it's great fun for a lot of music even at high levels, and maybe one day the BIB will come -- simulations just looked to good.

But for now I started working on a 2-Way Design kind of simmular to the World Designs WD25T but with a waveguided tweeter. As I learned from the FRs some "beaming" in the mid and high range helps alot for a good soundstage and imaging -- less room effects (reflexions), more direct sound, more fun!

Old 27th March 2007, 10:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Multiway? You heretic!

Hide this!Advertise here!