full range with sub. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2007, 02:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default full range with sub.

I built a set of full range drivers with a plate amp and sub.

I'm very happy with the overall sound, but when I tried to set up the sub using WinISD signal generator, I noticed that the high pass on the plate amp wasn't stopping ANY of the bass going to the full range drivers.

I'm sure this isn't a shock to some of you, but I thought the whole point was to send low frequencies to the sub, and high frequencies to the main speakers.

Anyway, on my learning curve, I was wondering if I should (using a stereo amp) go ahead any try and set up a equalizer with a sub out, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-726 , or just go a cheap rout a try something like this. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=266-200.

My first project was used for computer and game system sound and I am VERY happy with the end results, but I'm just trying to practice and gain knowledge before I attempt my living room stereo.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Phergus_25 Send a message via Yahoo to Phergus_25
sounds like you should send the plate amp back.
You could also try using the FRs natural roll off as a x over point [the sub only playing where the Frs stop playing]
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A few subs and plate amps are designed specifically to allow the feed to the sats to be unfiltered. The idea is to keep the sound that is there without modifying it. Best applied to sealed sats where the box rolls off the bass. These types of sub/amps often do this on the high level feed, taking their input from the speaker terminals on the amp rather than the pre-out.
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't think I could get a RA number on the plate amp since it isn't actually broken.

What are you guys using for active crossovers?

I was looking at this.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...64&ctab=6#Tabs

Anyone using this, or something like it? Whatever I choose, I'd like to keep it under $100.

Also, would bass blockers change the sound at all? I've never used them before.

Hide this!Advertise here!