5.25 full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. In the early eighty's I was working in a Car Stereo/home audio shop in Southwest Arizona. We had a fellow come into the store with samples of his very unique speaker enclosures. I have never seen this style since. I am still in the business. All I remember about him is that he was from the Northwest . He sold me a very odd pair of full range speakers that used a 5.25 inch speaker. No tweeters, just this driver. The speaker was in a picture frame maybe 2 1/2 inches deep. The driver was suspended in a black material. There were 4 mounting holes in each corner. Big enough for drywall screws. The backside of this speaker enclosure (walnut I think) was also made of this black solid material. You could see the magnet structure. the inventor of this speaker told me he had removed the steel frame with a nibbler I assumed. He then aligned the front of the cone in the frame with the magnet also aligned at the rear. he then poured the tar like substance into the frame and allowed it to harden. The cone moved freely without resistance. The pair was purchased for $45. To help pay for gas I was told. When the unit was finished all you could see front the front view was the driver encased in this tar (my discription) with the dark walnut frame. The dimensions were about 7 inches x seven. The rear side displayed the magnet encased in the tar. 4 mounting screw holes could also be seen. When I screwed this speaker pair to my stucco wall and powered it up with my SAE components this speaker rocked! The whole wall produced music full range and loud. I think the driver was poly and possibly an audax driver?? Does anyone know about this speaker system? I am a speaker builder now and would like to give this a try. I do not know how the tar was poured or how he aligned the voice coil. It moved freely. I do not remember how this was accomplished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.