full range dipoles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys I am currently using a pair of Aurasound NS3-193-8A1 3" speakers made into small bookshelf speakers in a small room 5.1 home theater. I would like to add dipole rear surrounds using a pair of the 4ohm auras in series in order to get an 8 ohm nominal impedance for my little 5.1 surround reciever. Is that a good idea or would the sound quality suffer alot? I have read that putting a pair of drivers together in series degrades the sound because the second driver is not in the amplifiers direct control. I was thinking that if the distortion is minimal, it wouldn't be noticable because they would be operating as rear surrounds. My reciever isn't rated for 4ohm loads which is why I was looking at this strategy and I am also an audio newb. Any advice is apreciated!!
Thanks
Dyonge

Hi dyonge.
I am not in favour of series connected drivers, however, if you already have them, give them a go.

Hooking them up in series may not effect distortion so much, it can have effects on f/r if not matched. That said there are plenty of series/parallel connected systems in the prosound area.

Geoff.

I have not bought the drivers. You mean measuring them and matching the actual parameters right? I do not have the equipment or the knowledge to do that yet and wish to keep this simple ...I'm an artist not an engineer. :D I planned on using the auras all of the way around because they are cheap and still sound really good to me. Sounds like I will discard the dipole idea until I upgrade my amp. I little bookshelf I built withthe auras are pretty transparent. Thanks for your reply! You helped me decide! Need to start saving money for an outlaw audio separates system! Of course..then I will want some jordans or something.

You're welcome. It's not often 2 $20 speakers will perform as well as a $40 speaker. Also, most expensive doesn't equate to best. There's plenty of "meat" in these pages to chew on, and many economical systems to start with if you want a project to do whilst saving for the Jordans.

Look at what some of us do to old drivers. Cheap fun, and a good way to learn.

Geoff.

Ya.. I just was thinking about the dipole configuration because my room is small and the rear channels are not quite diffuse enough. I currently use a pair of those 20$ auras mounted in reinforced mahogany cigar boxes!!! Funny because I mounted them just to make cheap PC speakers and ended up liking them enough to use them as my mains. Of course they are crossed to a 12" 300w sub at 120khz for bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.