Visaton B200 in bookshelf - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2007, 02:12 PM   #1
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
Default Visaton B200 in bookshelf

Hi all,

I was wondering what these drivers can do in bookshelf cab.. I can pick them locally at a good price, but I have no space for floorstander or OB. I was thinking about copying this design: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/inde c=23406.20 (scrool down a bit). Around 35L volume, aperiodic load. I listen to all kinds of music and I don't want to sacrifice bass response, dynamics and ability to play uncompressed complex music so I'm not really sure if solo FR driver in rather small box can handle it, maybe classic 2-way would do better? I wanted to go with Beyma 8BX coax but by the time they discontiued this one...

Thanks Martin
Old 16th March 2007, 02:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your link doesn't work.
Old 16th March 2007, 05:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Omega Aperiodic 8 is my guess. 20in x 11in x 14in (HxWxD) external. Driver approx 8in down from the top. 2 of those Scan Speak aperiodic vents on the back, just below the driver height.

I gather it's supposed to give about 45Hz in room, assuming the room is giving a heck of a boost. I ran a MathCad model of this cab a while back -not bad. Worth considering anyway.
Old 16th March 2007, 06:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Martin,

I have build a pair of these, but use a sub for the lower end. I do not have a very large room as well and they sound very good. They go till about 50 Hz (- 8 db). I have applied a 1 mH, 10 Ohm, 2.2 uF correcton circuit to flatten out the rise in the mid and higher frequencies.

B200 Aperiodic

Kind regards,

Patrick
Old 17th March 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks all, yes omega A8 is the design I was talking about..

Patrick, very interesting, thank you. So do you find them having enough bass even without sub? Are those measurements in-room? (how far from walls?) Are they ok even rock music? (like zappa, king crimson, magma) How they compare to your other projects?
Interesting site BTW.

Thanks a lot
Martin
Old 17th March 2007, 08:56 AM   #6
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,

for the B200 i think,
a sat horn , no part between
and SPL 96-98 dB 1 W
above 130 Hz,

you need a few Subs
or a bass horn.

B200 measurement
the TRUMPET

http://www.hm-moreart.de/70.htm
Attached Images
File Type: gif trumpet b200 0,15,30,.gif (13.2 KB, 491 views)
Old 17th March 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Martin,

I now have them running without sub and they have enough bass, but sometimes with some types of music I switch on the sub. I have a 10 inch sealed sub crossed at about 40-45 hz which is more then enough in a small room or even a bigger room.

I listen to acoustic music (Unplugged) and jazz like music (Norah Jones, Katie Melua). I'm also a big fan of U2.

When running then very loud with real heavy rock music, the sound gets a bit fuzzie, but this is a full range habbit I believe.

The measurements on my website are taken in a professional measurement room, which was obtained from the Philips laboratories. It is a dead room, so the variovents are not taken into account in the measurement. In practice this means that the will go a bit lower then shown in the diagrams.

With the filter you can set them accourding to your task, by varying the resistor from 6,8 Ohm to 10 or 12 ohm. The more resistance the brighter the sound.

When you go to , Audiocircle.com there is a circle about the B200 in Open baffles. But a lot of things also applies to these speakers.

This is my latest project and I will settle with these for now. I really like them very much.

Good luck with your decision,

Patrick
Old 18th March 2007, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Patrick, thanks a lot. Very helpfull.
Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!