Zigmahornet FE103E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello...

finally it seems, like I found the perfect FE103E-cabinet for my livingroom.
The Zigmahornet....I have some trouble with too heavy bases in that room, so I think the Zigmas could fit perfect!
Tonight, I will build one cabinet for an A-B-test with the recommended Fostex-BLH.
One question...this 45-angle at the top of the box...100% and totally necessary or just an optical gimmick?

thnx
Martin

Edit:
hmmmm...is it because of the "standing waves"?
Another question:
the internal width is 96mm...is it a problem to build them with 100mm.
would be much easier for me.

Besides, the Solo's are wonderful in the midrange; truly beautiful in voices and string instruments but there really is no bass. At all. Not that you will miss a lot of it when enjoying acoustic jazz/vocals but these cabinets are no good when needing drive or punch. Cheap to build and for those specific purposes exceptionally sweet. Try them anyway.

Thank you...but i need some base and I'm not a big fan of that subwoofer....thing!
In the spezial situation in my tv-livingroom the ziggis work very good, with almost too much base. Not vrey low, but loud! The upper middles are a bit too dominant. I think about trying a notch filter, to fix this problem.
The ziggis as they are, without any tweaking sound much better then the Fostex-BLH...BUT that's because of the room. In my last appartment the BLHs did a very good job!

shure...next week...ok, here my "before-pics" ;-)
at least you can see, why I have this "baseproblem"...over the TV is a...can I say bow-ceiling?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,982
Your acoustic situation as far from ideal - no wonder that you have bass problems. In situations like this I only was lucky with sealed (infinite baffle) loudspeakers, mostly even very small (like the Linn Kan or the LS3/5). In an cave (sorry..) like this, you - IMHO - will never get decent bass, it will always be too boomy and therefore out of tune and rhythm. I have diificulties to imagine that the Zigmahornets perform well in this situation, because they use this bass reflex cum tuned tube method to get more bass, which may interfere heavily with your room resonances. But maybe also both "effects" cancel themselves out...
(I can easy imagine that you do not like a subwoofer in that situation...)

Youre right...it's definately far from ideal, but it's nice to live there :D
Ok...I should say, that this is not my "music room"...it's just TV and some records that I listen to.
On the other hand...the music-room-situation is even worse!
But what can I do, It's a very nice appartment ;)
The best room for music is the sleepingroom, where I want to listen with my FE103 rec-Horns. Maybe there is another driver who fits better to that enclosures?

The Zigmahornet sounds better in the "cave" than anything else I tried before. Not perfect, but it's definately great fun to listen to jazz or piano.
Tomorrow I will finish them.

lg
MM

The FE126E should go into them. Probably better than the 103 in this situation, & unlikely to be worse. For what it is, the Factory 103 horn is tuned far too low for the driver IMO. There's no harm in tuning them that low in a full sized horn (double the length & a different flare would be a good start) but like this it's just looking for trouble.

If you hit bass boom with the Zigmas, add 1/4 of a pound of stuffing in the bottom of the cabinet, to damp the LF down a bit. Should improve things a touch. I used to have mine in the loft -similar situation. You might also want to think about a portable bass-trap.

Scottmoose said:
The FE126E should go into them. Probably better than the 103 in this situation, & unlikely to be worse. For what it is, the Factory 103 horn is tuned far too low for the driver IMO. There's no harm in tuning them that low in a full sized horn (double the length & a different flare would be a good start) but like this it's just looking for trouble.
Sounds good....I definately want to do something with the FE126E because many people say it's the best Fostex FR-driver.
If it dosen't work, I can at least play a little bit with a BIB ;)

If you hit bass boom with the Zigmas, add 1/4 of a pound of stuffing in the bottom of the cabinet, to damp the LF down a bit. Should improve things a touch. I used to have mine in the loft -similar situation. You might also want to think about a portable bass-trap.
I already did that and it works good for me...maybe some of my friends will say, that they don't go deep enough, but all I have to do is play Cassandra Wilson or McCoy Tyner and they will become quiet :D

Hello....

After listening different music for many hours, I have to say, that the zigmas sound still very good to me...and my girlfriend likes them :)
Just one thing is left to improve.
Unfortunately I don't have any equipment to check the frequencies, but I guess there is a peak somewhere above 2000 Hz.
Did anyone ever use a notch-filter with teh zigmas?

lg
MM

edit:
finally :)

Attachments

• ziggi.jpg
    ziggi.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,313
sorry to add to this thread, but can't seem to start my own, but I want to build a zigmahornet, and I want to use some existing drivers I have floating around.

specifically out of 4 x jamo 300's (old ones that were in plastic sealed enclosures.

The drivers have jamo on the back of them, so I don't know the specs, but they are 3.5" full range with a 1.5" tweeter, on the back they have: 50w RMS, 60RMS short term, 8-ohm, gold connects

Now I have 4 of these, so 4 x midrange and 4 tweeters.

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

I just don't like the housing, and would love to build some tall skiny front loaded horn style like the zigmahornet, but with 2 x 3.5" drivers in each slim tower.

By themselves they are quite clear in great midrange/topend, but don't suit my decore of polished pine floorboards and classic 1930's Queenslander house.

Anyone have any ideas on what specs I can get out of these, and/or an enclosure I can incorporate 2 x main drivers, maybe a tweeter as well...

link here: http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ12.html

read a review here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

planet10 posted his version of the plans? here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56111&perpage=10&pagenumber=2

I recon they would look snazy in a simple TV room environment, ie not a large home theatre room, as I have a large home theatre room downstairs, and limited horizontal spacing in my (or I should say wifes) lounge, where it is simple with an 80cm TV/DVD player & HomeTheatre PC, and the stylish skinney zigma's with a medium stain finish would look great.

btw, the current jamo box is 1.12 liters, if that helps with measurements for moving them from plastic box into a dual driver zigma?...

stevodude said:
sorry to add to this thread, but can't seem to start my own, but I want to build a zigmahornet, and I want to use some existing drivers I have floating around.

specifically out of 4 x jamo 300's (old ones that were in plastic sealed enclosures.

The drivers have jamo on the back of them, so I don't know the specs, but they are 3.5" full range with a 1.5" tweeter, on the back they have: 50w RMS, 60RMS short term, 8-ohm, gold connects

Anyone have any ideas on what specs I can get out of these, and/or an enclosure I can incorporate 2 x main drivers, maybe a tweeter as well...

These are going to be difficult to come up with: the specs are probably very different than you'd normally use for a horn or other large-scale enclosure. You can measure them (lots of info here, run a few searches) but I'd probably go with all new drivers if going to the trouble of building the cabs- the jamos look pretty mediocre.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.