Repair of 3808 drivers from Tannoy SRM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all of you.

I need some advice about a pair of Tannoy speakers i bought recently. It is the Tannoy Super Red Monitor (SRM 15x). They have the 15 inch 3808 drivers. One of the drivers has a bad cloth edge. Now, if the drivers had foam edges one could order new original edges from www.Speakerbits. com It is not posible to get the original cloth edges. You have to by the complete new membrane for a small fortune. I have heard a price of about 500 USD/driver :bawling:
I have contacted Tom Manning at speakerbits and he has offered me a set of non original cloth sourrounds. It is the SC15R02K from speakerbits.
Now the question - have anny of you some sort of eksperience about this problem? No doubth the restored drivers will work with the non original edges - but how far will they be from the original drivers data? One could claim that as soon as these drivers get a little old the data of the driver will not be the same as when they left the factory. The question is just - wil a pair of drivers restored with non original edges be more off than a pair of drivers with original old edges. The cabinets are reflex loaded so the data of the friver must fit the port lengt and diameter ect.

I would love have your coment on this subject. Menny thanks in advance.

P. Jensen, Denmark.

Hi. I have not had any experience with this personally, but a friend has some 15" Monitor Golds. He had them professionally reconed by:

http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/

They use original Tannoy parts and uprated coils. From what I understand, the process is best done professionally. Aparently it is not possible to remove the surrounds without at least some damage to the coil / former.

I would send them an email and see what they say. I realise that you're not in uk, but they may be able to supply the parts..... I am not sure.

Lee.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.