New box for the Fostex 103's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually I used the Foster 10F3 which according to my friend Dave is the precursor to the Fostex FE103. These drivers have had the full planet10 treatment on the cone, basket, magnet and phase plug.

The idea for the box came from Dave and Scottmoose from this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96937

I used extrapolation to design the cabinet and my ears to test. I am quite pleased with the results. I have listened to a lot of old favourites and I must say, for weeny little drivers they're great. I am thinking of matching these with the Shadow (2 X Extremis 6.8) that you can see in the other thread.

Attachments

• img_0491.jpg
    img_0491.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 514
gmilitano said:
How is the low end? Those small vintage drivers often have a highish Fs.

When Dave reworked the driver he said it actually rose and now sits at about 110 Hz IIRC. The addition of the Shadow woofer looks after what they can't do. I also have a 150 mfd cap on the Cal Jr's to help protect a bit.

edjosh23 said:
Any chance for a drawing?

The drawing is down at Sonia's but I did a layout on the back of one unit. The zig zag vent at the top of the cabinet is 1/2" until it snakes it's way up and to the back where it opens to 3/4" and drops down the back into the horn.

To make sense of it, remember to turn it 90 degrees. The driver is on the righthand side.

Attachments

• img_0620.jpg
    img_0620.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 284
Cal Weldon said:

When Dave reworked the driver he said it actually rose and now sits at about 110 Hz IIRC. The addition of the Shadow woofer looks after what they can't do. I also have a 150 mfd cap on the Cal Jr's to help protect a bit.

At 150uF, I imagine electrolytic is the only practical choice. Have you found that cap affects the sound quality?

For the XO experts, will being 90 degrees out of phase with the woofer be noticeable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.