Notch filter resistor values/latex paint - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2007, 10:24 PM   #1
jay_ess is offline jay_ess  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Notch filter resistor values/latex paint

I have been lurking around this site for a while and have really enjoyed it.
I am building a pair of Cyburg's Needles and have two questions.

On the notch filter, will it make a big difference if the resistor value is 6.5 ohms or 7 ohms as apposed to 6.8? I am still learning about how the notch filters work and wasn't sure.

Also, I have cut and glued all the pieces for my enclosures, except for gluing one side on each one (for testing). I coated the inside of each one with latex paint to try and help with off-gassing. I sanded the paint pretty smooth also because I was concerned about the brush marks impeding the air flow. Would the paint itself have a negative affect on the sound (just curious, I haven't played them yet, still waiting on drivers)? And would the less than smooth walls have made much difference? Again, just curious. I know it probably would have been better to ask both before painting and sanding, but the painting and sanding got me some "garage time", so I don't mind.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 9th March 2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jay,

I'm no expert but IMHO:

6.5 or 7 ohm should be fine. It will make only a small difference but leave the options open to test and see if you can hear a diffeence and which you like better.

I can't see the paint being a problem either. Air flow is created by pressure so I'm not sure it would slow it down any. It might interupt the waves ever so slightly but that might be a benefit. The paint is latex so it may have an absorbing quality but difficult to suggest that would change the sound a whole lot as it is so thin.

The main thing is you got some shop time in.

When do you get your drivers?
Old 11th March 2007, 12:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

I hope to get the drivers in a couple of weeks. Once the WAF is addressed. She is liking the idea of having smaller speakers in the living room though, so hopefully not much longer.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ended up getting the drivers much sooner than expected. I'm not sure what affect the paint had, if any.

After stuffing, rounding over the driver hole, and installing the notch filter (big difference with the filter), they sound amazing. The bass is very musical, and incredible for a 3" driver (can't wait to get the pair finished!).

There is actually more bass that my existing 6.5" 3 way towers (not louder, just more across the spectrum, and in general these sound WAY better). The bass that is there also seems to be more audible in the room and more accurate.

When I put on some Pink Floyd to test, my wife stopped what she was doing and said "Wow, those sound great!" and started pointing out all the little details she could hear. She's not much on the whole audio thing, and even she noticed. Very nice design, definately the best sounding 3" speaker I've heard. Thanks for sharing the design Cyburgs.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Congrats!
I'm curious, what are you powering your Needles with?
Old 27th March 2007, 02:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Oddly enough, a 7-8 year old Sony 100Wx2 reciever. I was worried that it wouldn't sound that good, or that it would be way too much power for the drivers. Turns out that they are a pretty good match

I haven't gotten to see how well they image with that reciever, but the one needle sounds really good. I was kinda shocked, to be honest. I was thinking I would at least have to buy a T-amp before I really got to hear some nice sound from these.

On my bench, they are powered by an old 70's solid state Fisher reciever. They sound ok on that, but not as good...

I'd like to hear what they sound like on a tube amp, but I'm thinking it would have to be a little higher powered one because of their low sensitivity.

I'm still want to buy a chip amp and try that as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!