driver at La Source (canada)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a set of those for $15 a piece at liquidation world. When I get home today, I will put all the links I could find on these in this thread.

I haven't got them in a working system yet but am working on a set of open baffles for these with a open baffle set of subs running ~70-90 Hz down. If you can wait till the beginning of April, I will have these things running and can give you impressions on them.

They are low efficency, low power speakers so they will probably not get to loud like for partys or such. But they have an immensly high Qt for what I have seen. People have measured it to be around 1.7 so I am guessing it will sound good in the open baffle design. They might sound good in an aperiodic box as well. I don't know, I haven't built anything yet. These are basically my cheap test speakers to play around with becuase $30 is a lot cheaper than $300 for a pair of B200s.

If you want something that sounds good and is still reasonably priced (no experience here, just what I have heard from others) than get the FR125S from Creative Sound Solutions.

doesn't look very interesting to me. If it is a 8" and only goes to 75Hz that means your fs will likely be 75Hz or above. All else being equal that would indicate a pretty efficient speaker. 20,000Hz is very optimistic and a 5W powerhandling indicates a very small voice coil for the size of driver.

From the little information provided I would expect a small magnet, and potientially high qts. I cannot say it will but if you were to get parameters for one thats merely what expect the results would be.

What do you intend to do with it would be a better question.

You'd think it might be efficient but its pretty far from that (realitive to Fostex FRs or something similar). I believe the efficiency was measured at 86 or 88 dB. These are specs that people have actually measured and not what the Shack says they are.

So with 5 watts of power handling and using the 88 dB efficiency you would be looking at this:

88 db @ 1 Watt
91 db @ 2 Watt
94 db @ 4 Watt

Your out of power. So good enough for listening around the house but is not going to pound out something like Metallica's And Justice For All... album at concert levels by far.

These would work good as a console radio or something nice for your grandma like that. I am using them because you can put a lot of tweaks on this speaker and they seem to be a good candidate for OB so its a cheap way to get into OB so i can decide if B200s are worth it.

I can't find much info on these as way of listening impressions and there could be a good reason for it because they may be crap, but no one has said that either. If you want something to play with for cheap, use them, if you are looking for something a little more perminent or HI FI, you might want to look at a different speaker.

These speakers said on the box "Full Range Ceiling Speaker" so they seem to be meant for Infinite Baffle or Open Baffle.

Radio Shack 40-1271 8" Full Range Speakers

Those speakers are ok, however, $30 each + taxes is too much.

I played around with them a little bit and here is a little bit of information about the Radio Shack 40-1271 Speakers.

Basically, this is an ultra high Q driver and will be limited to an open baffle or perhaps an aperiodic enclosure. In either case, you will likely want a low frequency driver or subwoofer to fill in the bottom end.

It may be interesting to try something like this:
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine3/system.html

However, the Q is so high, two flow resistance vents may not be enough.

If you are still interested in the driver, drop me an email as I have a pair that I have not been using for a while.

Cheers,
Gio

Thanks very much everyone for the info...I should have twigged the part number was derived from the RS one...

Seems the may not be suited for the first project I have in mind (a BIB style for smooth "ambiance" in the dining room which is 22 X 13 X 8). I'll keep lurking and learning!

What a great resource this is! Wishing all a good weekend of project advancement!

Mike

p.s. Thanks for the offer, Gio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.