basic fullrange mini-monitor setup? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
uzziah is offline uzziah  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to uzziah Send a message via MSN to uzziah
Default basic fullrange mini-monitor setup?

well, i'm looking to perhaps do my first speaker build. i wanted to build a diyparadise charlize (class T amp), and yeo at diyparadise mentioned that he thought i should build a fullrange; he mentioned corals (which i can't find of course) and the jordan jx92s's. so i'm considering doing something simple like an 8liter sealed box for the jordans; however, they are pretty darn expensive. i'm wondering if anyone has better options? they're shielded which is good for my application

anyway, my application is pretty simple. i've got my emu0404 pci card (which i've modified) in my PC, and then of course thinking something like a t-amp, and just wanting some speakers to sit on either side of my big-ole crt monitor on my desk; mostly i'll be sitting at the desk when listening, but also in my reading chair behind the desk; it's a small bedroom

thanks, simplicity is the key; i don't want to get into any complicated designs, and i live in an appt and have no tools so any building will have to have wood cut by home depot and simple construction. thus the sealed box appeals as i imagine it would be pretty hard to screw up. i know i'll lose bass, but i'm thinking perhaps i can get away with it since it's a mini-monitor near-field application? i come from the headphone world, so fullrange is very appealing, but i've since not enjoyed wearing headphones much anymore as i find them annoying.
Old 8th March 2007, 09:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Fostex FE103 or FE126; do a search and DIY
Old 8th March 2007, 09:19 PM   #3
uzziah is offline uzziah  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to uzziah Send a message via MSN to uzziah
the one thing is that yeo mentioned that he didn't like fostex's; you think they're good?
Old 8th March 2007, 09:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

These are reported to be good, but possibly not efficient enough for the Charlize.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
Old 8th March 2007, 10:35 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uzziah
the one thing is that yeo mentioned that he didn't like fostex's; you think they're good?

Let's be honest: that's the kind of open ended question that almost guarantees the old subjective/objective flame war.

Just how "mini" a box do you have in mind, and have you had opportunity to hear any DIY "full" range systems? In other words, only you can know if "they" (Fostex or any driver) will be a good fit for your ears and system - don't let anyone try to browbeat you otherwise.

Fostex makes a pretty wide range of drivers, some of which are candidates for some pretty decent full range mini-monitor systems. There are numerous design examples at :

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes.html

Also note that some designs posted there are mutable with minor changes drivers other than just Fostex.

Hide this!Advertise here!