Searching for FE167 Karlson Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2007, 12:36 PM   #1
bluegti is offline bluegti  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Searching for FE167 Karlson Design

In a thread within the last month or so, someone posted a design for a small Karlson slot cabinet for a Fostex FE167E. I've been searching for it but cannot find it now.

I'm just curious if anyone knows where the design is? Also, has anyone tried it? I've never heard a Karlson and was curious how it sounds.

Thanks
Old 8th March 2007, 05:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go here http://fullrangedriver.com/gallery/t...ls.php?album=1

I came across it while looking for his FE126E enclosure.
Old 8th March 2007, 05:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default That's the one...

thanks.

Anyone know how they sound?
Old 8th March 2007, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default good...

The cabinets have only some 1/4 inch felt inside the line and the tapers have been modified. with a good amp they make credible bass but most would want to run subs with them. Laying them on thier sides can generate spectacular image and stage. Am running the FE166E with some mods you can ground the top plate for good results. Took them to Denver a few years back to the RMAF and surprised a few people. Would make the line plus coupler length a 1/4 wave of driver Fs when I build another pair. New coupler tapers looks like a tractrix curve and stops shor of the top of the driver on the canted baffle. My existing tapers close up to 3/8 inch gap, could experiment with smaller gap might be worth while. Build the cab so the tapers can be easily exchanged for experimentation. Regards Moray James.
Old 8th March 2007, 05:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default 166 vs 167

Doing some searches I found that Moray James originally used these designs with a Fostex FE167E but later went with a FE166E.

I already own the 167's any thoughts whether I should bother using them in this cab?
Old 8th March 2007, 06:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default yes...

I built seveal sets with both the 167 and the 166 and they both work well in this cab. The 167 was a little better in the bass than the 166. As I said I would adjust the line length to include the coupler length into the overall length for 1/4 WL at Fs (so make the back line shorter). You want the total line length from back of driver to front of driver to be 1/4 Fs.
Interesting food for thought can be found in the Klayman US patent number 3 047 090 use Google patent search. The second drawing in this patent is especially interesting. Regards moray James.
Attached Images
File Type: png klayman 0.25 wave.png (6.4 KB, 463 views)
Old 8th March 2007, 06:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

"Laying them on thier sides can generate spectacular image and stage. "
Moray -- This is intriguing - why might this be the case?
How do you find the imaging/staging with the K-slot loading compares to the more typical direct radiating applications for these drivers?
Thanks for your thoughts, JF
Old 8th March 2007, 09:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As I said I would adjust the line length to include the coupler length into the overall length for 1/4 WL at Fs (so make the back line shorter). You want the total line length from back of driver to front of driver to be 1/4 Fs.
I need some help here since I have no design experience at all.

The Fs of the Fostex FE167E is 51.5hz. That works out to be roughly 65 1/2 inches.

How do I measure the line length so that it includes the coupler length? The line in red on the attached image is my best guess. It works out to be somewhere between 36 and 40 inches (based on a 1:3 scale in the plans and using a ruler to measure). This means I need another 20 inches or so.

I'm doing something wrong, please let me know what I'm missing.
Attached Images
File Type: gif kcouplerline.gif (9.9 KB, 356 views)
Old 9th March 2007, 12:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thid drawing...

was developed for the FE127. If you look at the drawings posted in this thread you will see the cabinet designed for the FE166/167. In that cabinet the line enters the coupler at the to of the cabinet. That is where I would place it for the 126/7. So what driver do you want to use?
Old 9th March 2007, 01:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Now I'm really confused...

I have the Fostex FE167E drivers.

The drawing I posted with the red lines started as a screen shot of this pdf in the FullRangeDriver Gallery. The diagram says that its for the FE167E.

Here's a couple of newbie questions - I was assuming I knew the answers but now I'm not sure.

* Isn't the "line" the path from the rear of the driver to where the sound can escape?

* What is the "coupler"?

Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!