Adding Tweeter to Full Range - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2007, 07:09 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The www.zillaspeak.com page has info on piezos too... but i'm not sure it's up and working at this time. Internally, i cannnot access it.... try it and see. Click Speakers and scroll down for the article on piezos. There are freq charts too.

I am a BIG fan of piezos! Facing them backwards always sounds best to me. Use with resistor, cap and Lpad for excellent results.
Old 3rd March 2007, 12:26 AM   #12
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for the input.

In summary, integrating tweeter and Full range

Tweeter
======
Good Choice :

1. Horn
2. Piezo

Bad choice:

1. Dome

Anyone try Ribbon and Planar???
Old 3rd March 2007, 04:17 AM   #13
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Yep....AC G2

Ran with a single 2uf cap & no padding, B200 is rolled @ 4250 with a single .22mH foil jobby....also 1st order high pass of 150hz on B200 & ribbon's tube amp. a single cap does that work..I really like the G2 with FR's..some times I tri-amp it, but really no need, I have a match & no resistors for padding needed..I am seriously addicted to ribbons & Click the image to open in full size.
FR's now.
Old 3rd March 2007, 06:16 AM   #14
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default JandG

what type of ribbon, and bass driver you use?
Old 3rd March 2007, 08:14 AM   #15
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default JandG

Rear photo please ?

Andy
Old 3rd March 2007, 12:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Aurum Cantus G2, the rear pic doesn't show the ribbon connected. I just finished the driver install when pic's were tooken. I do have & tried Fountek Neocd3 & it is not as good as the AC G2 as I hear it. The bass drivers are Vifa m26wr-09-08's driven w/ BASH plates @ 150hz. I can also get very high spl's w/ this ribbon & I do not hear any distortion artifacts as in fatigue or anything remotelly nasty.I still retain the most of the FR magic with a much better top end. The G2 does not give itself away with previously stated above configuration.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd March 2007, 02:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi!
Just a question of the doomed dome.
How on earth, could a back firing dome, ruin the sound when transients are totally smeared via walls by this position?

I actually prefer to use tone controls nowadays Blasfemi in audio, but early NAD tone controls were only working around 50hz
and over 10 Khz. Today models I have not a clue where the center freq. are.

Just my 2 cent

Cheers
Peter
Old 3rd March 2007, 03:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

sometime this year I will get another pair of G2's & try adding a rear fire ribbon to the mix, I gotta figure out how to wire it up though, parrallell doesn't seam cool, so I got to figure how to do it in series & still retain a 2uf cap for each ribbon. or use a tweeter amp which I have but, rather just slip it in passive..w/ no resistors after the amp at all.. gotta think this one out first..I am a newbie compared to most of you.
Old 7th March 2007, 01:29 AM   #19
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't overlook the good old cone tweeters. Some can give a good account of themselves.

I believe the trick with piezo horns is to use a crossover well above the resonance and use a parallel resistor across the driver. Also, I have noticed on a pair of Motorolas here, a moulding ridge on the mouth. If I ever hook these up, I'll radius the flair to the mounting plate.

Peter, to me, most domes spit at you. Softdomes from Peerless and Philips being some exceptions. So it doesn't matter which way they point.
Old 7th March 2007, 07:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Geoff!
Well I'm not religious about domes. It doesn't matter if speakers are made of this and that as long they sound good.
Often people generalize saying this sound bad, this sound good.
A well constructed speaker sounds good with all the limitations one has to live with.

Take polypropylene cones as an example. Manufacturers claimed it was a step forward compared to paper cones. Truth was most probably, it was cheaper and more a rational way of production.
Still, poly cones can be good if blended with other materials.

OT maybe but...

Cheers
Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!