Adding Tweeter to Full Range - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2011, 09:37 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
Halo,

I'm planning to change my speakers for something new, with bass augumantation and most probably better full range driver, most probably whizzerless as I'm little tired of whizzer's sound
I really recommend the Alpair 10 - I got the original at a good price but the 10.2 is better still. It's very smooth - lovely unit, very good mids and decent bass too - a real full range. It replaced a Jordan JX92 which I didn't like at all - quite hard and treble got on my nerves. The Alpair is quite an un-metal like sound - very neutral.

I'm thinking it would mate well with a ribbon.

Andy
Old 22nd October 2011, 10:48 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Thanks, have no idea what is the price, but to me it looks like the driver to use in 3 way only, or 4 way as even in 3 way lower midrange can be a problem.

If it's not expensive I would love to try it in bass reflex enclosure just for fast easy two way speaker, but no chance this to get working as I can see.

I'm thinking about something serious that can play loud and without compression.

Having spent many many hours with full range drivers that is not my cup of tea to use single driver, but I consider some serious full range driver as midrange driver in 3 way system or just very nice full ranger augumented with tweeter and bass driver.

Maybe something along Supravox, Lowther or PHY-HP

As to the Aurum Cantus G2si it is great unit for it's money, really cheap actually for what it does, try them for your Alpairs.
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:26 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

There's a Celeritas RB60 which seems identical to the G2si. I think the advantage of the Aurum Cantus over the Fountek may possibly be the thinner ribbon? A bit more expensive but not much. The CD1 is certainly cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: png Celeritas RB60.png (133.7 KB, 156 views)
Old 24th October 2011, 09:32 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

i have a fountek CD1 crossed at 3800hz with a 150wrms amplifier and it plays really good , i dont see the need to spend more money on other ribbons .
Old 24th October 2011, 09:38 AM   #95
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi lduarte,

what fullrange did u mate with the fountek?

cheers
henry
Old 24th October 2011, 09:46 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

i used it as a replacement on 3 way JBL LX400 speakers > 3800hz crossed . i did try them with a full range on a cheap mini hifi from LG , i cant tell you the speaker model , they played nicely but you need to cross them over 3500hz.

Last edited by lduarte1973; 24th October 2011 at 09:52 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!