which finish for metronome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• metronomecolor.jpg
    metronomecolor.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 327
a different opinion?

If your original choice was for a stained finish on the plywood, why not just recover the boxes with phenolic or foil backed wood veneer and stain/oil finish them? Strip the existing finish with lacquer thinners, dry and sand with 100g, and contact cement should work just fine

My own personal preferences for speaker aesthetics aside (..OK, I'm just not a fan of "Disney-world" paint jobs finishes - I guess it's all those years of bowing to WAF!); by the time you consider the material costs and labor involved in completing a decent quality multi-colored paint job, the veneering doesn't look so expensive after all - and the result can be more appealing in the long run.

I like 'A' best.

I used Minwax Ebony stain on pine once and it looked terrible. Much like what you have now on yours.

Paint does cover the imperfections nicely.

Something else to consider would be to paint your cabinets then add a new front baffle that you can stain a color you like. That's what i usually do.

I'd provide a link but ZillaSpeak.com is currently down (again :-()

Godzilla

BHD said:
Since you're planning on painting the enclosures, check out Derek Walton's site. He recently finished a pair of Pi speakers in gloss paint with a roller! It sounds like it'd look terrible, but check out the results.

I don't know if it'd work with plywood, his cabinets are MDF.

http://www.iol.ie/~waltonaudio/pione.html

Just a thought.

:)

amazing finish and even with rollers. Hope I get lucky.

gychang

new paint done

Since I messed up the finish, I polled some ideas and I am finally finished.

If I had the patience, I would have rented a spray gun and sanded it more and paint it red and black, but I finished it with the brush and the paint I had in hand.

At least it sounds good, and should blend in with our dark furnitures.

gychang

Attachments

• metronome.jpg
    metronome.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 142
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.