metronome minidisaster!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Home Depot special, should've checked my custom stain, was supposed to be "classic ebony" but they gave me "sick blue" stain..., the stain was a disaster, after the first coat of "sick blue" I tried 3 times to stain with "classic ebony" but the bluish hue sneeks thru. may try to paint over it with combination of red/black with cold stripe. I will also install "feet" of some sort.

Like to thank "Zilla Speak", Jeff, for hand holding me thru installing of piezo speaker on the back, works beautifully, I am trying to find the right L-pad setting, high end "sparkle" was missing on my previous BIB speaker. Can't believe piezo is less than $2.

Metronome with my radioshack driver is overall good sound, but compared to BIB it lacks base, others are right the subwoofer is needed. I have one and will use it. First day I am just using the speaker without sub (with my Kenwood amp with "loudness" button. Sounds good, as long as I don't look at the cabinet finish...)

Once I get the right finish/paint, I will like the speaker I am sure. I like the shape, I will dial in the right amount of high freq ("sparkle" as Jeff calls it), and use my cheapo Sony sub.

Despite my stain problem, would encourage others to build metronome (little harder than BIB), and don't forget to add piezo tweeter.

gychang

Attachments

• metronome.jpg
    metronome.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,745
Did you use the piezo stock, gychang, or did you run the mods from godzilla's website on it? (damar and rope caulk, I think it was)

I personally am wanting to build up (or even just get a listen to...) a pioneer B20 based pair of speakers. But I've already got a different project going - I don't know when I can clear the space in my schedule OR in my living room... :xeye: But I'm watching the enclosure conversations with interest.

I've built the Tang-Band 871 Needles. I like them very much - I'll be interested to hear you compare them to your existing projects. If you end up using a computer as a source, there's a nice software filter (impulse for a convolver) that you can run instead of making an electronic filter. I'd also like to see someone put together a line-level passive crossover for them as well, but since I've got my software solution I haven't been pursuing an LLPXO myself...

- A

Godzilla said:
I love the Pioneer fullrange driver! Add a cheap piezo and you can listen to music for hours without fatigue. Which cabinets will you use for the Pioneers?

I am debating whether to follow your project that u have detailed, or build a BIB and just add a piezo in the back. I like BIBs...

AdamThorne said:
Did you use the piezo stock, gychang, or did you run the mods from godzilla's website on it?

I've built the Tang-Band 871 Needles. I like them very much - I'll be interested to hear you compare them to your existing projects. If you end up using a computer as a source, there's a nice software filter (impulse for a convolver) that you can run instead of making an electronic filter.

- A

I have used it without a modification, it does add a little sparkle that can be adjusted.

I may be using the Needles with my PC. Would it be possible for u get me more information on the software filter?, I was going to build it without a filter, but may have to settle for sotware filter if needed.

gychang

I recomend the filter. It adjusts the tonal balance of the whole presentation. The speaker sounds a bit thin without it.

The software filter is implemented with a .wav function that someone in the 871 Needle thread supplied. Use it with a convolver plug-in in your music player. I tried to use it in WinAmp, but the only convolution plug-in I could find for winamp didn't like the .wav file. The original guy was using it in a player called FooBar2000. That's what I'm using now, and it works fine. The plugin is at the FooBar site. Installing the plug-in took a bit of rooting around, I don't recall off the top of my head. It's not bad tho.

If you don't want to use them with a computer I think you should investigate putting a passive filter before the amp rather than after it (if you were considering skipping the filter to keep the amp-speaker connection clean). I finally learned that the appropriate term to search on for this concept is "PLLXO". Couldn't get anywhere with the concept 'till I found that tidbit.

This thread is ancient now, but people here seem to favor single-driver speaker systems as much as possible.

I found two speakers that would be of immense interest to those who take a minimalist approach.

Dayton DA175-8 7" Aluminum Cone Woofer = $18.15
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-335

Specifications: *Power handling: 50 watts RMS/75 watts max *VCdia: 1-3/8" *Le: 1.15 mH *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 5.90 ohms *Frequency range: 35-10,000 Hz *Fs: 36 Hz *SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .75 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.15 *Qes: .53 *Qts: .42 *Xmax 4.25 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 6-15/16", Cutout Diameter: 5-5/8", Mounting Depth: 3".

AND, the biggie...

Dayton DA135-8 5-1/4" Aluminum Cone Woofer= $13.75
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-330

Specifications: *Power handling: 30 watts RMS/50 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Le: .9 mH *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 6.15 ohms *Frequency range: 50-15,000 Hz *Fs: 53 Hz *SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .25 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.40 *Qes: .57 *Qts: .46 *Xmax 3 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 5-5/16", Cutout Diameter: 4-1/2", Mounting Depth: 2-1/2".

The 5.25" is especially nice. All by itself, it is a decent speaker in terms of frequency response. Power handling isn't bad either. A combination of 2 or 4 of the should really kick it.

A combination of a 7" and a 5.25" would give you a freq response of 35 to 15,000. That's not that bad, few people can hear 15,000 and above. Plus, add a simple Piezo and you bring it to 35 to 20,000. Still not too shabby for a minimalist system.

Personally, I would use the crossover method mentioned at Planet_10 -
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/piezo-XO.html

but set the crossover for the Piezo in the 6,000 to 8,000hz range, and bring the level down a bit. Let the cone speaker do what they do best.

I really think a 7" + 5.25" + a piezo in a nice cabinet would make a great minimalist system.

Steve/BlueWizard

Sorry, but the FR of these two AL drivers are ghastly! As is typical of metal drivers, and Kevlar for that matter, the drivers are unusable in the break up modes. They are ANYTHING but flat and I wouldn't try tu use them much above 1kHz. Oh, yea, they do produce a lot of sound up high, but this is not Hi-Fi.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.