Horn Decision

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I had decided that I was goung to build the Frugel horns, no supra baffle but with the diflectors, diflectors to come at a later point. But with after reading the first 30 pages of the frugel horn thread I think that they might be to finicy to deal with in my situation and a wall loaded horn, or even a front horn might be better.
So now I am trying to decide if I want to try the Austin A126s, Frugel Horns, or the reccomended Fostex horns.
At the moment I am in a room that I could not corner load, though in about 6 months i will be able to.
Any suggestions would be awsome.
-greg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Phergus_25 said:
So now I am trying to decide if I want to try the Austin A126s, Frugel Horns, or the reccomended Fostex horns.

The A126 works very well in a wall-loaded position -- it is what i use.

The little Fostex BR/TL hybrid is no where near as good. It maybe makes a 100 Hz and is kinda mushy.

Another alternative would be Harvey, a known quantity, or Mikasa which no one has built yet (that i know of). Both of these are tall & skinny.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To give an idea of the relative sizes of these horns.... note that the female is taller then average... probably 5'6" (168 cm)

dave

Attachments

• fe126-horns-1.gif
    fe126-horns-1.gif
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,651
Thanks for the help guys. Im going to now start researching the Austins, since they are the most applealing in size and all. Do they still sound relitivly nice without a Supra baffle?
Off to research.
thanks again.
-greg

PS- if there are any threads that document them the best then a link would be greatly appreciated.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Dave, I designed theese for a friend, I havent heard them yet, but he says that midrange on his FE167 is good and seems to be pleased with them
you may do with them what you like, maybe they need a bit simulation
mouth has a little trick, but I dont know how that works

Attachments

• horn  tegn. 1.png
    horn tegn. 1.png
    12 KB · Views: 867
Having just considered the Frugal and A126 myself recently I thought I'd just highlight one main thing "I think" I picked up.

That is the A126 designs hosted at http://www.frugal-horn.com/ronhorns.html appear to be Rons original designs. Subsequent to this a number of people Dave (planet10) found the CC was too small - this observation is also aluded to in Rons note above the plan links.

The issue is discussed in the original Frugal thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78581&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Somewhere in the thread there's actually a picture of how an original cabinet was adapted to provide a larger CC (I just can't find the specific page at the moment)

I just wanted to highlight this before you start cutting those big side sheets.

Regards

Jeff

PS I've decided to go for the Frugals in the end since I have two (hopefully) perfect corners, and additionally thought it would be best introduce my fiancee to horns gently :) Dave is possibly modding my pair of drivers as I post this and I might pick up some timber on the way home...

I got one sheet of ply wood. I know that it is going to take alittle more than a sheet, but I plan to get another sheet later. I just wanted to get going and not take the entire hit at once. I am amazed at how good this birch ply looks, its really pretty.
I think I am going to use some dark dark stain on the sides and back and then take and use some rosewood veneer I have for the fronts.

So is there a consinsis on the plans. Are the ones I have with the correct size CC chamber or am I going to have to change something.

-greg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Plans & link have been updated with notes & the 1 raster image of the last revision. All of these drawings need to be redone. I understand there are no originals (Ron 'puter crash)

We expemded our compression chamber, and then filled it up. We are still running a bit above the recommended 2.2 litres (1.8 if you want to use FE108eS)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.