FE103a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Fe103a

Hi justpoor.

justpoor said:
Has anyone ever use 4 FE103A in a sealed box design. I love the sound of these drivers and thinking about wire them parallel/serial in a larger sealed box. I have 8 of them laying around and thinking about trying them in this configuration. Any thought. Thanks.

I once tried a pair of 4xFE-164 in sealed boxes.
Not much bass, but the rest was astonishing, to say the least.
Wonderfull with acoustic guitars :eguitar: , pianos :Piano: , vocals :bawling: and small orchestras :violin: , and they were loud, or should I say sensitive ;)

I doo kind of miss them, and thats why I've bought a pair of FE-103E to play with :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1 on each side will reduce HF combing... and i still have a soft spot for the EPI miniTowers. If you get far enuff away stacked pair would likely work fine.

With 2 on the front, you will get combing effect in the top 2 octaves. That leads to considering an MTM, and i have played with that idea, trying to get the drivers as close together as possible so the XO could be pushed up near 5 k.

attached is one such thot experiment (with an EPI tweeter)

dave

Attachments

• 1197-mtm-thot-experiment.gif
    1197-mtm-thot-experiment.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 252
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Series or parallel depends on tweeter, & amp & whether you have 2 more on the back.

You want a physically small tweeter that can reach 5k (preferablly with a low order XO). I'm averse to convex domes, so i've mocked up these (concave) EPIs & a ribbon. A small horn -- like the Atomix/Sansui pictured -- would likely do well.

dave

Attachments

• sansui-t50-2.jpg
    sansui-t50-2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 245
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.