Old Reel to Reel Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have I been drinking too much beer? I'm not sure. I got a pair of these from an old Akai RTR on that infamous auction site. I hooked them up sitting on the ebnch and I am getting a weird "image". Don't know how else to describe it, there is a distinct sound from an area and yet it hards to pinpoint the source with just a move a few inches to the left or right. Is this imaging? What is it? Any takers?

Attachments

• dscn0169.jpg
    dscn0169.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 242
G'Day Bob. My guess is that you are hearing the out of phase sound from the back of the cone. Tends to sound hollow, with no apparent source.

Try placing your hands around the driver to give it some baffle, it will sound more distinct, and bass will come up.

You can also hold it on the inside of the elbow against your chest. Don't do this if there are family members around. If seen, they may have you committed.

They look like good tweaking candidates for OB's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.