planet10 and others: 40-1197 open baffle mid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of using these as an open baffle mid/ widerange. They are fully modified of course (damped, dammar and phase plugs).
My question is if I were to passively cross them to a woofer what do you think is the lowest I could go without causing problems associated with large capacitors?
I know this is a fullrange forum, but you guys are the most familiar with this family of drivers. Please forgive me for thinking of putting components in the signal path.
I think this driver has excellent midrange qualities and its efficiency make me think crossing it to a high efficiency woofer might be fun. :bigeyes: Thanks guys!

I'll join in and recommend at least 300Hz for a crossover point. A bit higher wouldn't hurt, but 300 will allow nearly a couple of octaves above Fs for the 1197. The higher you go the cheaper the cap will be and, as Cal pointed out, you gain power handling. Something else, and this is my opinion, with the value that you'll be using and the low frequency involved, I'd use a large non-polar electrolytic cap. I am pursuaded by my experience that you would be hard pressed to hear a difference. I'm older and my hearing isn't as good as it once was, but I've never felt it was very important for crossovers to use expensive caps. Inductors OTOH, can be heard and you'll want to use a fairly substancial AWG. I'd also look at an Iron Core Inductor if the price is significantly higher for an Air Core.
Whatever you do, the point is to have fun and learn.

BTW: keep us posted on your progress.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Fs

Thanks guys for the input, I was hoping the Fs thing would come in to the conversation, I have also noticed crossing near there seems to do something funny to the sound, I did it once to some Tang Bands and the effect was not subtle. I will go for a second order for sure. Now for some budget high efficiency 15"ers. Suggestions? I don't need to go that low, I'd be happy with 30-40hz. I do have sizeable room gain, it's a small living room. I am running a tube buffered IGC.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: impedence chart

jsaults said:
Does anyone here have an impedence curve handy for these 40-1197's?

N = 12

dave

Attachments

• 1197-impedance.gif
    1197-impedance.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 175
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.