QTS/OB explanation needed - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2010, 10:00 PM   #31
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InclinedPlane View Post
I recommend avoiding drivers with a Q over 1.0 for the simple fact that the motor tends to be too weak to control the cone very well.
For a wide BW use, I agree, but (mid) woofer systems, not so much since if the correct baffle loading is chosen its roll off will damp the driver(s) somewhat.

GM
Old 18th May 2010, 10:11 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Forcing 70 times the energy through the low Q driver means reducing its control over the cone to the seventieth part of the original control.
Viewed another way, an OB is the inverse of a high gain TL, so as the long TL that only has the same pipe area as the driver's effective piston area (Sd) wants a strong motor (low Qts), the unfolded TL (OB) wants a proportionally weaker motor (higher Qts) and smaller baffle.

GM
Old 18th May 2010, 10:12 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeville View Post
So underdamped systems produce more bass with less power, but roll off quickly and have a resonant peak at F3. Hum hum hum--and equalization can flatten the total amount of energy, but can't stop the overhang/humming.
I think you will find that equalisation does stop the overhang/humming. The secret is to match the equalisation to the resonance. If you have, say, a 6 dB peak at 50 Hz with a Q of 1.2, then applying a 6 dB dip at 50 Hz with a Q of 1.2 will correct it, both in frequency (continuous) and time (impulse) measurements.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:18 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Well I should have said '.6-1.0 seems to be the range that provides the best sound to my humble ear'.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:57 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Viewed another way, an OB is the inverse of a high gain TL, so as the long TL that only has the same pipe area as the driver's effective piston area (Sd) wants a strong motor (low Qts), the unfolded TL (OB) wants a proportionally weaker motor (higher Qts) and smaller baffle.
My head just exploded
Old 19th May 2010, 02:48 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hope it didn't hurt for long.

GM
Old 19th May 2010, 04:30 AM   #37
brookbh is offline brookbh  United States
diyAudio Member

So after reading this read and many others on OB over the past year or so, there seems to be several basic implementations of open baffle woofers:

1) high qts drivers like the alpha 15s, goldwoods, other in-exspensive drivers
2) low fs, high sensitivity pro drivers with a q around .3 to .5, higher x-max than alpha 15s or goldwood 18,15,etc..
3) drivers like the augie or AE dipole

So here is my noob question,I have seen a few members here and other sites suggest the sigma pro 18, how would go about implementing a low q driver such as this in a standard flat open baffle?

Hide this!Advertise here!