Fullrange for metal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i love my fullrange fe166 BIBs for pretty much every genre of music exept for metal, they are quite unforgiving, with all the high end detail they show bad recordings very easily. the fe166 also dont quite have the smack of the kickdrum either, while the bass is grat and satisfying its not as impactful as most BR designs ive heard.

i was thinking of moving up to a larger diameter(8"?) driver in an MLTL or Voight or something like that. Maybe do one of those cool sideways BIB? another TQWT?

im really at a loss here, not too many people pick the fullrange sound for metal, so i dont find too much on it. I do notice that i LOVE my fullranges for opeth type stuff, where even though its a bit wimpy on the low end and a bit fatigueing the detail and quickness is there, as well as the depth on the low end.

the volume front is less an issue that i though, when i see how much SPL i get out of a couple watts with the BIBs. Just to summarize im looking for something wiht a bit easier sound(less highs), more bass( a bit more slam or punch would be nice, but more bass in general). Bass extension is less of an issue
50hz should be fine in all honesty, but it woudl be cool if it did go lower.

the pioneer b20 keeps popping into my head as an idea.

i know what you mean, metal usually has terrible recording so quality doesnt matter too much. Maybe im better of picking up a set of cerwin vegas or something(i was lsitenign to some last night). ive played with the idea of a cheap PA speaker before as im sure some of you remember, it always gets expensive real fast.

While not Metal persay....I do listen to alot

of "TOOL & such when the mood arises, which is alot. I use OB set up with B200 w/ PLLXO @ 80hz, a single Vitamin Q @ input of 300B PP amp. Augment bass with Vifa M26wr-09-08's on same baffle using BASH plates set @ 150hz, then a single .22mH foil air ciol on the B200 after the amp, & a G2 ribbon w/ a 2uf cap only, no padding . Does TOOL very, very well. I have had Cerwin Vega Vs-150's this OB set up destroys those in every conceivable way. Disreguarding the overdone Bass of Cerwin Vega's, My bass is fast , clean & very correct, for my smallish room. Adam Jones of TOOL is a tone freak & now I respect his use of those fancy *** amps he uses.. I guess one would have to be a guitar player of the tube amp kind to respect it. I am of 30+ years a searching tone freak & if your front end is up to it, you should be able to find all kinds of Metal recordings that are not overy compressed. actually the earlly late 80's & earlly 90's cd' are not bad IMHO.. everything now is mostly a compressed loudness game with almost every new release of anything..BUT if your front end is not good,you might want to go another direction, Good bieng Good, NOT expensive.. What is your front end..? Also I can go to insane SPL's if wanted & it all holds..

all the metal i listen to from the 80s is bootlegs or TERRIBLE reocrdings, anew new metal is all super compressed with shitty treble(there are expetions, eg:eek:peth). This is elading me back to the PA speaker oddesy, where i come up with a way too cheap deisgn, and eventually end up with a nice design thats way out of my realistic price range(and therefore never comes to fruition)

im serisouly considering throwing a piezo and a 15" pa woofer in a vented box, with a coil on the piezo(ask cal weldon for more info on that one), turning it up and calling it a day.

so is this fullrange idea pretty much bust? i hear lots of good things about the b20s having bass and a nice laid back top end, which IMO sounds like it could be the ticket. Not to mention teh price is right. Can you put b20s into more "interesting" cabinets? ive been wanting to try an ML-TL for a while...

edit: if i can gain power handling with a particular alignment, then that woudl be good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.